Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal to the Floor!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 02:12 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Clutch Pedal to the Floor!

There I am siting at a light and as I get ready to leave I press the clutch pedal, it sinks to the floor and does not come back. There was absolutely no prior warning. Up to that point the car was shifting perfectly. The clutch as replaced by the PO about 2 years ago (<5k miles). I assume that the problem is either clutch slave or master cylinder(s). I ordered both as soon as I got home (in 2nd gear all the way in NYC traffic). I did not see any brake fluid leaking anywhere nor the reservoir level has dropped. Are they supposed to go this suddenly? Where did the fluid go? Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:25 PM
Black_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just wrote about this a few days ago. Will the pedal come up if you grab it with your hand? Or does it just sit on the floor?

If it has air in the line you can try pumping it vigorously. It might take five minutes before you get some pressure. Otherwise, you will need to bleed the system.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:25 PM
Geoff Daniels
Intermediate

This just happened to me last week. After removing the master and slave cylinder I discovered that it was my Master cylinder that had failed. Like you, it was without warning and there was no trace of leakage. I was lucky because it happened in my driveway. I replaced both. It is the clutch pedal return spring that holds the clutch pedal to the floor. You can pull it back to it's normal position with a good tug.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:02 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Need to clarify this point. I pumped to clutch pedal by hand a few times but still no resitance. Yes, I did read the previous thread on the subject.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:14 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Sounds to me like you need to replace your clutch master and slave cylinders. Then bleed the system correctly.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:22 PM
MAS
Racer

Yeah, ditto... a similar thing happened with my car last month. It was the clutch master cylinder too. Although, mine took a few weeks to finally start sticking badly.

-MAS

1987 924S
Old 08-20-2001, 05:03 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

You may also want to get the line that runs between the master and the slave. Mine did not survive well, in fact I never got it off the master cyl.

Also, break all connections prior to removing any of the parts. Leaving the parts in place gives extra leverage. I had already disconnected the master from the firewall before I tried to loosen the line from the master - that is probably why I could not get the connection to break. I found that ALL of my connections took a great deal of force, I thought I was going to destroy some of them.

Also, Paragon sells a speed bleeder nipple for the slave, very helpful for bleeding the system. You will need to preasure bleed the system and bleed and bleed some more.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal to the Floor!