Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI hose with FI clamps vs AN fittings

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default EFI hose with FI clamps vs AN fittings

I have been running with a piece of high pressure FI hose clamped to the barbs on both ends of my fuel return line for about 6 months now with no issues. I simply slotted the ferrule with a dremel tool to remove it and reused the JIC barb fitting on the hard line. Would it be a terrible idea to do the same to replace the high pressure feed line? Both the clamps and the hose are rated at considerably more pressure than what is seen at the rail and this type of connection is used often in other cars. I see a lot of porsche guys insist on using the AN fittings but is that a looks thing, or is it really that much better? I'm paying my way through school right now and restoring this car so while I hate to play with fire, if it comes down to a function vs form question I'll be just fine with clamped on FI hose. Plus I can get SS braided line for 5 bucks a foot, just lacking those fancy AN compression fittings which I do admit are nice. Do most aftermarket fuel line kits require cutting of the hard lines to attach new fittings? Proper braided SS lines are beautiful but again, School > car.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 04-13-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default fuel fittings

Guys (hot rodders) have used rubber hoses with screw clamps for years. Now I don't know the safety (leak) record of these installation practices, but when you're dealing with one of the two most distructive possibilities for these cars (gas lines and timing belts), can you really, in all conscience, trust the gamble will pay off? Hard to say for sure. If you do want to gamble, carry fire extenguishers in the back seat and keep your fingers crossed.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:06 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

I don't know, hose clamped Fuel lines are OEM on tons of applications including older BMW's and many Ford and GM cars as well. I really don't forsee it being an issue. Proper hose and clamp choice and not overtightening them are key to them not leaking. Under full boost of 18 psi with a 3bar fpr, rail pressure would not exceed ~65 psi and most SS T bolt FI style clamps are rated at 90 psi. I'm going to do some more looking into before I make a decision because I'm really not in love with the idea of hacking up my factory hard lines. Remember that the factory fittings were little more than clamps anyway. The hose end was basically slid onto the barb fitting that was attached to the hard lines, and then a crimped collar held it all together, much like a hose clamp. This goes for both end connections of the feed line as well, and the small jumper line. There is no doubt in my mind that the AN fittings are superior, but I'm thinking that the alternative is still very much "good enough. Most fires I hear in both 944s and other car circles involve broken fuel lines or leaking rails, not leaky hose connections.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

I've done some reading and I think I'm going to try redoing all my lines with Gates Barricade fuel line which is E85 and 225 psi rated http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ja...se-38-15-27349, mated to factory fittings and double clamped at each connection with SS T bolt clamps specifically made for high pressure FI. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=mauiqa

If this fails I will cut my hard lines and go SS braided but I want to give this a shot.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Question, are all the fittings on the rail swaged onto barbed fittings like they are on the return line? I just had the idea of cutting off the swaging and having a shop make new factory style lines using new FI hose on the old barbed fittings and new swaging. Seems like a MUCH better idea than clamps + I would get to keep my factory fuel lines unmolested. Has anybody done this or looked into it?

Quick Reply: EFI hose with FI clamps vs AN fittings