Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra blinkety blinker

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 09:25 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extra blinkety blinker

Yesterday on my drive home from work, my right turn signal began operating erraticaly. While the left turn functioned normally, the right turn was blinking extra-fast as if a bulb was out. When I got home, I took apart and cleaned both right-side signal assemblies(bulbs were fine, some minor corrosion on terminals was cleaned off). Next step, bad relay? Any thoughts? (86 951). Secondly, this may be an elemantary question, but which # on the relay itself is the relay part#(i.e. the one on the top SK 6755, or the one on the side 111 953 227D? Thanks much.

Eric(with nowhere else to TURN)snicker
Old 07-06-2001, 12:52 PM
TomH
Pro

Porsche part numbers are usually the 3 sets of 3 numbers. The other number you see is probably the manufacture's SKU (so that relay is probably made by another company for Porsche.

I would have thought your problem was a burned out blinker light. As that is not the case, it probably is the relay.
Old 07-06-2001, 01:34 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

HAH! My 93' volkswagen fox started doing the same thing, where the left blinker was fine, and the right blinker would go either super fast or not at all. After a month of this, even stranger things started happening, like my horn would honk randomly when ever the blinker was engauged, windshield wipers would go on full blast, head lights would flash like hazard lights sometimes, and sometimes when putting the right turn signal on, the car would just die. During all of this strange electrical mahem, a friend of mine was pulling his skateboard out of my trunk and it caught on the rear tail lamp assembly and crossed two wires. Next time I tried to start my car, 3 or 4 small electrical fires started in the car but went out immediately, and no less than 15 relays were toast, not to mention my fuel pump and ecu. My dad's friend knew a guy who was a VW mechanic, and they re-did all of the wiring in the car since several wires were melted, and replaced the fuel pump and ECU. The car was never the same after that. Turn signals just turned on the lights, the car still died at random, the horn was honking on average 5 times during a 20 minute drive, and honked for 5-30 seconds every time I started the car, and then the altinator stopped charging the battery, even though the altinator was putting out healthy voltage and amps. It may have been the wiring from the altinator to the battery, but the car would run for 5 minutes if the battery was charged up, and then it would die because the sparking of the engine would drain the battery. Anyways, this car sat in my parents driveway for 4 months unoperational, and then a tree fell on it and blew out the windshield, drivers window, and the sunroof, and bent the roof in about 6 inches, so I had that car towed to a junk yard, but it is still registered and has plates on it because it saves me about $800 a year as being my daily driver for insurance purposes. Sorry for the long story...I just thought I would share why I will never buy another VW again.
Old 07-06-2001, 04:30 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, it's not really fair to curse VW because you had trouble with a Fox. And it is really not fair to compare the quality of a late 80s or early 90s VW, especially a Fox, to the quality of newer cars. My Scirocco 16V had over 100K miles on it before it was totalled in a head on (not my fault) and it was still strong and tight.

Comparing a Fox to any other VW is like comparing a pair of old Converse Chuck Taylors to a pair of custom-made Fabiano hiking boots.

I think if VolksWagen could they would disavow any knowledge of ever having produced the Fox.
Old 07-06-2001, 05:01 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

ribs,
What are you trying to say? That the malfunctioning blinker is the first event in a slew of maladies which will eventually leave my car up on blocks in my driveway--A rally-style 951 . I am hoping it is only the relay--I will have a new genuine VW-Audi relay on Monday. As far as bashing V-dub, I agree with Manning that bad experiences with a Fox are not representative of VW on the whole. Many friends have had various model VWs and all were pretty reliable(everything from vanagons to Passats). I was very impressed with the quality/performance of my girlfriends' last Jetta(although I like her new A4 1.8T much better). Sorry to hear you will be without the 951 this weekend. I thought I saw some wheel overspray when I passed you on 50, but couldn't be sure

Eric
Old 07-06-2001, 10:21 PM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all there is nothing wrong with your relay. This problem only occurs on US models because of the side marker lights. The indicators and side markers are the same Dual filament bulbs, when the ground or common connection on the bulb becomes corroded, loose or dirty the current will flow through your marker light instead of going straight to ground, it will earth through all the other marker lights, so the faulty one will still light but the load won't be enough to run the indicator relay properly. To fix strip and clean the bulb connections or use a meter and you will see voltage on all your park lights when the fault is occuring.

Quick Reply: Extra blinkety blinker