Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Times

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$5k might not be a bad number to ask due to low mileage but might be tough since it needs some work.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM
CoreySmith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your potential looming tough decision. I am in the same general area of the country (Ohio/PA/NY border) and I have to tell you I got a similar car for $2,700 about 20 months ago. It came with a new T-belt but older WP and perfect glass and the PO threw in a bunch of valuable parts (exhaust headers, rear axle shaft, wiper motor etc.) with the car.

Look, these cars are WAY undervalued for what they are. Total garbage Pontiac Grand AMs with 100K miles are selling for near what you are thinking of asking. But $2700 is a typical value for cars that move in our area. You might get lucky, and I hope you do if you have to sell, I want to see all 944s sell for good money. But based on watching cars in my Craigslist, you would have a really tough time at $5K. Specifically, I have been watching a nice one here sitting on CL for over a year at $3500. It has its minor problems, but is not bad. Then again, I saw a real piece of crap I test drove sell for $4K.

Hang onto it if at all possible. If you sell it you will regret it forever. It is going to be hard to get back in on a good 944 later with so many examples having big-time existing maintenance problems. Any car you buy in the future, unless you have a recent receipt for T-belt etc. will take an immediate cash infusion right away on top of purchase price. Plus, these are going up in value and I imagine will continue to do so.

Last edited by CoreySmith; 04-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 AM
315-944
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info guys =] im doing exactly that. exhausting all other possible solutions before getting rid of her. im glad to hear i should be able to do the timing belt/wp myself.

@corey any local groups/annual events in our area i should know of? once she's up to snuff im going to drive her as much as possible. the drive is what made me buy her anyways
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM
CoreySmith
Advanced

Originally Posted by 315-944
Thanks for the info guys =] im doing exactly that. exhausting all other possible solutions before getting rid of her. im glad to hear i should be able to do the timing belt/wp myself.

@corey any local groups/annual events in our area i should know of? once she's up to snuff im going to drive her as much as possible. the drive is what made me buy her anyways
Absolutely. You need to go to 944Fest in eastern OH. http://www.944fest.com/

Organized by the good folks at Rennbay, and sponsored by all the appropriate companies.

See you there!

Quick Reply: Rough Times