Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Times

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:37 AM
315-944
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Times

Hey all,

i've been lurking around here for awhile reading up from those who are more knowledgeable than me when it comes to our 944's. Times are tough and i may have to sell my toy before i had the chance to turn her into the car i envisioned. This isn't a classified...so keep reading....as i'm still working things out and trying to save her from going to a different home. My main reason for posting this thread was to try to get some opinions if i do need to sell her, as she has a few flaws. She's an '88 944 n/a with 55xxx miles with a few options. Was hoping everyone or anyone could help me price her, before fixes, so if things go south and i'm not able to keep her i'll get the most out of her and maybe pursue my 944 aspirations in the future. Any thoughts or opinions would be great! I'll try to be as honest as possible so you guys get a decent picture of her and can give me your thoughts. is $5000 too much to ask? i feel like the low mileage is a decent bonus, as well as the LSD.

First, i installed new hood struts and unfortunately the corner of the hood touched the windshield and caused a decent spider-web. estimated at 300-400 for a replacement with install. ill take pics of this soon, as i'm gonna wash her/clean her up when i get time.

secondly, I have the maintenance records from the previous owner (was a one owner car when i purchased it) but i don't recall seeing the timing belt/water pump done yet. This was going to be my first task this spring before i enjoyed her this summer, but life happens and i may not get to it before i sell.

Thirdly, included in the pics are all cosmetic blemishes of the interior/exterior. a few small dents in passenger side rear-quarter panel can easily be pulled out. looks like hail maybe? but in a perfectly straight line? not sure. small paint blemishes on rear bumper and side strips on side of car (can't really see in pics).

P.S. pics are of the car when i purchased her, and yes it was my phone. sorry! Nothing has changed other than a little dust from sitting this winter.
Attached Images            
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just replaced my windshield after lightly scrapping a screwdriver on the lower corner of it over the summer which caused a giant crack. Got it in just the right spot. I was originally quoted at $300-400 as well. But because my glass had the built in radio antenna, it ended up being about $700 :P Also, the first company I went with didn't have the plastic trim piece in stock, or the window with the antenna, so I needed to call a second company.

I learned my lesson to BABY the glass on these cars!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Welcome, good starter 944!

michael
Old 04-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Sorry to hear you may have to sell the car. I was able to get my windshield replaced for $450 with the antenna in the glass. The estimates ranged from the low of $450 to high of $950. If you sell it, you may want to get that done to avoid negotiating over it.

As for values, so much depends on maintenance. The best thread I have seen about values is this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ticky-faq.html

If you work through your cars needs, you will get a good idea of a fair value. If you need to sell quickly, you may not get fair value.

Good luck and hope things work out for you.

Michael
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

If you have insurance on the car and your copay is low then do a claim and get the windshield done. I had to use that method, it was only 100 bucks out my pocket vs 600 installed.

What state are you in btw?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:22 PM
315-944
Cruisin'

Im located in Central Ny. Can I ask what companies you guys went through for the glass? How was your experience? I may have found a way to save her so im looking at touching up her imperfections. Im at work at the moment but ill check that thread regarding values when I get out. Thanks guys!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you guys put free glass replacent in your insurance policies? I pay a extra $2 per vehicle a mongh for full glass through State Farm.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 AM
315-944
Cruisin'

to be honest, i probably will after this incident. i had read to be very careful when installing the hood struts. didnt realize that even minimal contact would spiderweb like that. next time ill be putting cardboard between the glass and the hood or at least some kind of buffer. on a side note...anyone looking for a toolbox? =p decided id rather sell that than my car.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Safelite replaced my glass and since it was a porsche they sent one of their more experience guys. They did an excellent job and only took about 1hr even with me talking to the guy. When my windshield first cracked I had a 500 deductible so I changed my plan waited a bit and then filed a claim to get her fixed for 100, totally worth it.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Safelite did mine and I have no complaints.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually use JNPhillips but they were a nightmare on the Porsche. Really unimpressed with the way they handled this one. Safelite ended up doing it and they did a good job. At least, no leaks so far. They wouldn't touch resealing the rear hatch for me though

I think the lowest glass deductible on my policy is like $250 and usually glass isn't much more than that and I guess I always think I won't need it again. But I guess since the Porsche glass is so much more expensive, it's probably a really good idea. Will have to look in to it again.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lack of evidence of timing belt and water pump change hurts the value of your car. Plus, the windshield.

In my opinion, $5k is in the ballpark for a car like yours WITH recent timing belt service and a good windshield. Its probably more like $ 3.5k as-is. It sounds like funds might be limited so I'd at least go for the easy fix (if insurance pays) and get the windsheild fixed. If you are looking to keep it you really need to get the timing belt service done, too, and that could just be the beginning of what the car needs in order to keep it running properly.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 AM
315-944
Cruisin'

I'm glad to hear safelite has been good to you guys as they were the ones i received the quote from and theyre close by. @todd i have my toolbox for sale in other forums as well as craigslist so hopefully ill have the funds i need for school and i'll be able to keep the car. as far as timing belt/water pump service goes...i planned on getting it done as soon as funds allow. my car has the tensioner but should i trust that? there's a place about an hour away in syracuse that supposedly only works on 944's. as far as indy shops go they'd be my first bet, but i've heard the job is somewhat expensive. i'm an enthusiast with some experience wrenching on my own cars (should be noted that my dd is an 02 saab 9-3 and i can just about say in confidence that saabs are the biggest pain in the ### to work on due to a lack of common information, a mix of swedish and gm engineering and just general quirkiness..but i love her!). im going to school for auto tech/management as well. is this a job i could do by myself or with a buddy or two/beers/weekend? i've seen mixed opinions on this, but they were for early cars without the self-tensioner. im just worried my tensioner isnt up to par. this week we've been getting pounded with rain so hopefully next week the salt will be off the road and ill be able to take her out without worry of our nasty NY roads doing her harm
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

The timing belts are fairly easy and quick. Just need to verify the tensioner using the twist / water pump method. The real question is do you also need to do the water pump? If you don't know when it was serviced, it should be changed along with the rollers and front of engine seals.

Still a very doable weekend job, but a bit more expensive and could get a little more tricky if you run into any bolts that are seized.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM
ditch68
Racer

Originally Posted by HICKS
Why don't you guys put free glass replacent in your insurance policies? I pay a extra $2 per vehicle a mongh for full glass through State Farm.
That is not available in all states. I know it is in AZ, I have used it many times. I have gone through many windshields due to semis and gravel trucks...

Jeff

Quick Reply: Rough Times