Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opposite of Buyer Beware-Post recommended vendors

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 05:17 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Opposite of Buyer Beware-Post recommended vendors

I'll start.....

Paragon Products-Jason is the man!!
Zim's in Dallas

Both of them are perfect examples of good business and I will give both of them repeat business.

We can also extend this beyond Porsche related vendors if you wish.

Scott
'86 951
Zim's
Old 08-17-2001, 05:20 PM
daly944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to add www.europroducts.net
the people there talked to me extensively about the products that I purchased, msd 6 a ignition, dme upgrade, headers, blaster 2 coil, and they had very good shipping time.

Also, www.partsheaven.com is awesome, Rob is the man!!! he knew what he was talking about and sent me all the parts for the auto to manual tranny conversion, keep up the good work!
Old 08-17-2001, 05:49 PM
doyle
Racer

I will also add Vertex. I have heard a few stories about them, but I have had nothing but great experiences when dealing with them. This includes purchases and returns. Fast, efficient, and friendly. Whatever you do though, stay away from Liberty Mutual insurance.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:21 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

I will second the praise of Paragon Products. The first time I called Jason to ask a question before I ordered something, I started the phone call by telling him my name. After all of the conversation, by the end of the call, he remembered my name. It is little things like this that show Paragon is going the extra mile for the customer. Now, I have ordered tons of things from them, and I have yet to order anything on their website. Their personalized customer service is a thing to be cherished and sure beats entering in info on any website.

In addition, they have excellent prices and a vast knowledge of our cars.

Kudos, Paragon!

Dave
Old 08-17-2001, 06:52 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a third for Paragon, and a hearty recommendation for Zims at www.allzim.com.

A minor thumbs down for Performance Products (some overly high prices, some minor service problems) and a big thumbs down for Griots Garbage.. uh, "garage"... for misleading ad photos that they wouldn't correct, and not getting me off their catalog mailing list for many months after I requested it.

Jim, "Off wit' 'is head!"
Old 08-17-2001, 07:29 PM
aka 951
Pro

Paragon is the best - all others pale in comparison. I think that's the nice way of putting it.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:33 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I have posted many many times about Paragon. They are excellent. Huntley a close second.

I have also dealt many times with the guys at PAP PARTS in Atlanta. They have great prices and are very quick to respond. Ususally you'll have to leave a message, but they call back rather quickly.

I know the flame was on the feet of Winward. I have not worked with them, my father has. He has had some good and bad things to say, but overall he is happy with them. Due to the amount of bad threads about Virtex, I won't even call them. They must have some problems if this many people say such bad things.

On a side note.. the car is due to arrive in my garage on the 2nd, or so my father says. He is almost done with it, and will finish this weekend. After some miles are on it, the treck to Ohio from Jersey will commense. At that time, it will go to the inspection station in stock form (except for the big turbo), then the B&B, MAF, Regulator, ARM, ARC, wheels and tires will go on it. Happy days are here again!
Old 08-17-2001, 10:44 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I have had good expieriences with Pelican Parts. I have not got around to ordering anything from Paragon Products, but I plan to.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:06 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
www.pelicanparts.com there is no substitute!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:45 PM
icat
Race Car

Performance has some great stuff - but you better not need it in a hurry! Ordered a wheel recover kit, Guards Red touch up paint, and a paint chip kit. Total for the order was under a hundred so the shipping was around $11. Fair enough - BUT next day air was an additional $150! Didn't know they were going to deliver it personally! I opted for UPS ground - so they back ordered the recover kit. Oh well :-(
Old 08-18-2001, 12:20 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Performance is about 20% overpriced on average, by my estimation, however, if you're patient, they fairly regularly have "20% off" offers, which bring their prices into roughly into line (modulo their fairly inflexible and expensive shipping.) It was their recent "summer sale" when I decide to give them a try.

My advice regarding Performance is to avoid ordering directly from the web -- pick up the phone instead. Their web ordering system is buggy (try deleting a few items from the cart, check out how the sku and item descriptions start getting mixed up!) But worse, the on-line database is out of date, they have stuff that has been dropped from the product line but you can still order over the web. What they do next is irritating: They will ship your order simply leaving out the no-longer-available items, but without confirming with you if it is OK to proceed. This means that the shipping portion of the bill can be proportionally much larger than expected, making the order rather poor value when compared to buying from other sources where shipping costs are more reasonable.

My experience with Performance hasn't been disastrous by any means, but irritating and expensive enough that I'll certainly be buying elsewhere (unless it's something I just can't find anywhere else.)

-Mark 86 944 NA
Old 08-18-2001, 09:17 AM
icat
Race Car

I'll second what Mark says on the Performance web site. When I went to order the wheel recover kit the available options were some type of air conditioner and windsheild spray control (or something like that). I e-mailed them and they corrected the site about a week later - they did give me the correct part number and asked me to call in to place my order. Since I work in the computer industry I may be overly critical, but IMHO their web site looks 3rd grade at best. Very slow too.
I've also ordered from Vertex in the past, it's been a few years, but I did receive the order in a timely fashion with no problems.
Old 08-18-2001, 03:46 PM
MadMax
Pro

I have only ordered from Pelican Parts so far. I replaced both sets of front wheel bearings. I ordered them over the web and paid for two day shipping. Evidently (they claim there was a problem with my credit card, entered incorrectly or something)...anyway, I got on the web and checked my order status. Noticed the problem and called them. We staightened out the situation and they overnighted the parts. However, they were wheel bearings for a 1986 or earlier 944. Oops! I called them and after a little coaxing they corrected the problem and overnighted my the new parts at no additional cost. They still haven't refunded my expense to return the incorrect parts though. I would still have to say that overall I was satisfied with my experience with them.

Regards,
Old 08-18-2001, 05:28 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Question

How is Technodyne regarding customer service and product quality/performance?

-Kierf.
--'79 Prelude.
--preludeparts.com
Old 08-18-2001, 07:40 PM
PSUice944
Pro

I dealt with Technodyne, I was doing an oiling system upgrade, basically to prevent the #2 from going again, EVER.

The customer service was good in how they wanted my business and were patient with all my phone calls and questions. The mods to the oil pickup and pan that I wanted from them were only "OK". I think if you were local to them (PA vs CA!) it would be best as you could talk to them and see stuff in person.

Quick Reply: Opposite of Buyer Beware-Post recommended vendors