Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning came on suddenly in 944

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 09:58 PM
Lew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Air Conditioning came on suddenly in 944

This afternoon while out driving my 84 944 there was a sudden noise and the air conditioner started blowing air. I fiddled with the **** and it seemed to turn off. When I got home I took out the two air conditioner fuses and the heater blower fuse. I started the car and the blower motor kicked in again! At this point I turned off the car and disconnected the battery. Now, when I bought the car a couple of months ago the washer and headlight motors didn't work. With the help of people on this board, especially Martin, I got them working. I also had to pull the center console and the panel above the heater controls in order to replace a heater cable. I also put in a new radio. I didn't think I screwed up any wiring, but it seems a couple of wires are touching that shouldn't be. Anybody have any ideas on where to start looking? Do other 944 owners have all these electrical problems?
Old 07-06-2001, 10:03 PM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I've dealt with lots of them on both my car and others.
The A/C controller on the early cars is a thermostat with a micro switch activated by the first turn of the ****, the wires are very close together on this microswitch and it is a very tight spot when reinstalling that panel. I'd guess at the wires either loose or shorting. Be careful when removing the panel, it is wise to remove the A/C **** first and undo the A/C thermostat or you may break the capillary wire feeding it. Be very careful and I'm sure you will find the problem.
Good luck

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Martin ]
Old 07-07-2001, 04:55 PM
Lew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a little confused I guess. Additional fuses 5 and 6 are the air conditioner. Taking them out did nothing. I unplugged the air conditioner control **** and that didn't do anything. Neither did removing fuse 10. However, when I took out additional fuse 9 the fan turned off. My Porsche owners manual says that fuse 10 is the fresh air fan and additional fuse 9 is the roof and rear lid release. Taking out additional fuse 9 did disable the roof along with the fan. My Haynes manual shows fuse 10 going to the rear window defogger and radio, and additional fuse 9 going to the fresh air relay and blower motor. So I'm guessing the Haynes manual is right and that my fresh air blower switch is stuck on full. (Turning the **** does nothing). Also, where's a good place to run a wire from the headlight switch into the engine compartment? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning came on suddenly in 944