Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argento vs. 85-90 Trans Am (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 02:36 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool Argento vs. 85-90 Trans Am (LONG)

You guys, I thought you may get a kick out of this. This is no BS, straight up happened yesterday...

First off, I never race my car, partly because you get crappy mileage, isn't good for the car all the time, and there is really no point in racing a NA 944. But yesterday was different for some reason...

I'm going home, and there is a 85-90 Trans Am driving near me. There is lots of traffic, so I didn't give it any thought except the fact that I like the Trans Am (my brother has a Formula). Anyhow, I come up to the light to turn right to my subdivision, and low and behold Mr. Trans Am is right next to me. I glance over, and he's all over the wheel looking for a race. I'm thinking, "Ok, don't even do it you'll get smoked" but for some reason I get the urge. Who cares if I get smoked, the man has twice the engine as I do.

But here's the fun part...

As I watch the light turn green, I don't hit it. He doesn't either. I'm watching the nose of his car and as it begins to jerk forward I hit it, the old 4 banger goes to work (this all happened in about .5 secs).

So we're off, and as many of you know first gear winds out pretty fast in the 944s. Believe it or not I've got a jump on him after first, even though he drew first. And also as many of you know 2nd is a good gear in the 944s, so as I hit second with literally no shift time (I'd love to see how a short shift feels) I'm cruising at this point. I've pretty much got to know my car so well I can shift without any feeling of shifting (after driving a 924 S for 3 years this is mechanically the same).

So I'm winding out 2nd gear, and I realize that he's not next to me. I glance in my mirror and he's not there either, so he's in my blind spot. I still hear his engine and I hear it start to wind up to high RPM's and it's getting really loud (closer) and I'm like "oh darn it was fun while it lasted" right about the time I hit 3rd. Next thing I know I'm cruising at 60 and he's just behind my blind spot so I can barely see him in my rear view. The speedo there is 45 so I start to slow down, he comes up then starts to slow down when he sees I am. He had a very pissed off look on his face.

I get in front slowly, never one to be arrogant or cocky, put my blinker on and turn left to do a U-turn to go back home.

Anyway, I know I know he probably had his A/C on, probably was either an A: Automatic or B: a stick with a really crappy driver, or he has 4 cylinders that have hydro-lock or SOMETHING to explain why I smoked a Firebird Trans Am.

But it was fun to see that look on his face. I wonder if he knows it's a 4 banger, or just ASSUMES like most Porsche-ignorant people in this word that "I lost since it was a Porsche".

Anyway, that's the first race I've been in, in this 944 since I bought it in late April and it's going to be the last so I'm batting one thousand.

Sorry so long I just thought I'd share with my fellow 944 comrads.

Man I can't wait to have a Turbo, THAT race would have been even more sick then it already was if I was pulling away and I heard the turbo spooling up... FUN.

Adios,
Matt
Old 07-04-2001, 10:46 PM
Ted J
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you had some fun there!

Lucky for you the guy didn't have a 3.8 Turbo V6 Anniversary edition Trans Am, then it might have turned out to be a different story. Heck, those Turbo 3.8 V6 Trans Am, I think they made them in '89, would be a challange for my '96 T/A M6 for that matter, I'd probably lose sine my car is really close to stock and with the auto trannies in them they can launch a lot better than that of how I can launch with my M6.

Like I said, it sounded like you had some fun and that's what counts!

Ted
Old 07-05-2001, 03:40 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
That probably would have killed me. But I'd have to say after I have my way with my 944 Turbo (when I get it) there won't be many Firebirds that can hang.

How about you all? Any cool speed stories?

-Matt

Quick Reply: Argento vs. 85-90 Trans Am (LONG)