Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing green and orange antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 10:37 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mixing green and orange antifreeze

I was reading a prior post re: antifreeze and a lister warned of mixing green and orange antifreeze. I recently had my waterpump changed and the foreign service mechanic used green antifreeze. I noticed that the levels had dropped a little (I assumed it burped) and purchased some Havoline phosphate-free antifreeze, which is orange, to top it off .

Should I have not mixed the two, even if they are both phosphate free?

Jeremy
1983 944
Guards Red
Old 07-05-2001, 11:16 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are probably just fine, certainly better than no coolant in the engine. The problem is if the additive packages are going to react to each other in a less than great way. So to be safe and **** about it, you would want to use the same formula antifreeze in your engine. And since it is unlikely you have the data sheets or a chemistry degree to understand them, you are stuck with using the same manufacturer.

If I were you I would change out the antifreeze to a common and widespread phosphate and silicone free brand and never look back. I would add that you should flush it every couple years even though they claim it is good for 5 or more years.
Old 07-05-2001, 03:45 PM
aztec944
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't take any chances mixing diferrent antifreezes. Even some green antifreeze that does not list phosphate among it's ingredients sometimes has some.

Play it safe and go to the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership and buy of gallon of their antifreeze. It is phosphate-free and and has a golden transparent color and is acknowledged to be good stuff to put in your car. At about $15 - $20 a gallon it is not cheap but well worth it for the peace of mind it gives you. No worring about phosphate in you antifreeze eating a hole in your engine block!

Quick Reply: Mixing green and orange antifreeze