Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camber adjustment with Aftermarket plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002 | 09:47 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Post camber adjustment with Aftermarket plate

I've got the crimson colored "racers edge" camber plates. It looks simple but I just wanted to verify that to udjust camber all I have to do is loosen the four bolts and slide the strut as desired along the tracks.
Old 02-05-2002 | 05:20 PM
tt9714
Racer

On a related subject, I'm curious how much "stiffer" the adjustable metal camber/strut tower plates are than the stock rubber inserts on a 944 Turbo (i.e. how much additional vibration and road noise actually gets to the cockpit).

My original rubber parts are pretty hard from heat and age...I would imagine that they have lost a lot of resiliency.

Any feedback from those who have switched over directly from the rubber to metal strut towers?
Old 02-05-2002 | 06:04 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Roberto,
Most of the people that I see using the camber plates usually go to the autocross/track jack up the front to slide them to neg. camber. Aren't you in Phoenix? We have a good group of 944 participants. We have a PCA autocross on 2/17, also a SCCA autocross on 2/10. Do you compete in NASA?
Paul
Old 02-05-2002 | 06:28 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

I could not notice any difference in the rigidity of the rubber verses the metal strut tower plate. But than again I've only seen road usage, no track time or events. Which leads me to my second response. Paul, I would really like to get involved in local events. Yes i'm in Phoenix. VERY close to Firebird Raceway actually. Close enough to hear the cars. I've heard this is where most of the PCA events meet, right? I'm not a PCA member yet, but when my schedule permits I would like to attend an outing to see what it's all about. Same with SCCA and NASA. I'll be getting off of a 12 hour shift at 6am on 2/10, I'll try to scarf some coffee and stay awake long enough to observe. Will these events be at Firebird? I hope so because it's on my way home from work. Thanks,
Old 02-05-2002 | 06:49 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Roberto,
The PCA and SCCA have one autocross per month.
The SCCA events are at Firebird on Sunday. In the summer the events are at night 6:00PM. (autocrossing.com will have link to the SCCA site)
The PCA is usually at Phoenix Muni. Stadium(52st/Van Buren??) better to check the PCA region 8 (Arizona region)web site, I may have the address wrong. I don't believe you have to be a member to participate. The more 944's the better.
Paul
Old 02-05-2002 | 08:35 PM
David Agatone
Advanced

TT,

I also have the Racer's Edge camber plates. I'm not sure if I can honestly say that they transmitted that much more road noise as I also upgraded to Koni Yellow's(set stiff) an adjustable ride height kit with 250#coilovers. It's definitely harsher than before but the trade off...

David
Old 02-05-2002 | 08:58 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by tt9714:
<strong>On a related subject, I'm curious how much "stiffer" the adjustable metal camber/strut tower plates are than the stock rubber inserts on a 944 Turbo (i.e. how much additional vibration and road noise actually gets to the cockpit).
</strong><hr></blockquote>
I have the RE plates also. On good asphault road surfaces the NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) seems quite tolerable, and in fact I don't notice any problems. On bad road surfaces however, such as the cobblestone concrete we have along I-5 in Seattle there is a tremendous amount of NVH transmitted into the cockpit. Some of this is most likely due to the spherical joints in my rear coilover shocks, but I can feel it coming from the front also... and the dash just rattles.

One thing to keep in mind is I am running 225/45-17 and 255/40-17 S-03 tires, and they are very stiff. I think they are just as harsh as my old MXX3s. I also have a strut brace.

Bottom line: they are noisier... but it may also depend on how stiff the rest of the suspension is. Mine is on the stiff side
Old 02-06-2002 | 05:06 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Paul,

I've heard that only certain moddifications are allowed to compete. I've not "Bastardized" my 944 but it is not the stock engine for an 88 n/a, It's a 968. I will check up on region 8 and see. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: camber adjustment with Aftermarket plate