Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tension

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tension

I posted over on the Turbo forum but figured I'd get more hits here since it is basically the same engine. So here's a shot,

Do you guys have Any tricks for tensioning the timing belt and balance belt, I know I know.. Byt the tool, lol but I don't really have the money to swing for one, So Im doing it shade tree style. I've heard good results from doing a 90 degree twist on the t-belt and a 180 on the balance belt, Any of you guys try this???
Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the tensioning tool kit I think, I'd have to go through my stuff. I don't need it anymore, if you want it shoot me an offer. I'm up for trades too.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I snapped a timing belt on Friday, so put a new one in Friday night. I borrowed a tool since I was (then) concerned that my "tightening by feel" might have been a contributing factor.

It turned out that my "by feel" was a 5.0 on the factory gauge. Spec calls for 4.0 +/- 0.25. So I was a wee bit on the tight side.

Turned out, one of the nuts that holds the stainless belt guide on the water pump fell off - and that's what broke the belt... it got caught between the water pump pulley and the belt.

For using the factory tool, turn the engine over a few revolutions to make sure the belt is tracking straight, then turn the engine backwards a little bit so the "slack" is between the cam gear and the crank pulley. At 4.0 on the factory gauge, it was a little "looser" that I expected.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

p.s. here's what happened... We spent about 2.5 hours hours taking it apart at the track, trailered it home with the head off, then spent about 5.5 hours pulling valves from another head, lapping them in, reassembly, then changing the oil.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I would suggest for the first time that you use the tool, either the official 9201 or the Arnworx tool. You can usually find someone to borrow it from. After you learn what the tension should be, you should be able to do it by hand. It is looser than you would think it should be.

I have done all mine by hand after the first time and haven't had any problems. Just be mindful of all the components in there. It only takes one mistake to cause a lot of damage $$.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

According to the "shade tree" system of belt replacement/tensioning, I've used the system of tensioning the belt until you can barely turn the water pump pulley by hand (clean, dry hands). The balance belt is tightened to where I can twist the long length between 90 and 180 degrees. The idler roller should have a credit card clearance between the roller and the timing belt. If there's a whining noise after you've done this, the balance belt is likely a bit too tight. I have a spring loaded timing belt tensioner on my car and the tension on it is real close to factory spec. 123k miles.

Quick Reply: Tension