Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinquisher Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001 | 02:02 PM
Dan W
4th Gear

Post Fire Extinquisher Mount

I am going to attend my first DE event and
need to mount a fire extinquisher in my
944s.The interior is stock ( no roll bars,
5 point harnesses, etc. ).

I am looking how to do this in an
economical but safe manner ( The DE rules
specify "metal to metal" mounting ).

I have purchased a basic 3 lb BC
extinguisher, but it has a plastic mount.

Looking for ideas / suggestions on how to
do a metal mount for it, preferably to the
front on the passenger seat, but also open
to other options.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-16-2001 | 02:04 PM
keith
Drifting

I know you said economical, but Brey-Krause has a NICE one for the location you specified...
Old 08-16-2001 | 06:49 PM
Tom
Pro

Stable Energies makes one similar to the B-K that attachs to the seat. They are both very nice and solid and can be left in place.

When I faced this problem I prowled around some hardware stores and devised a mounting involving slipping the homemade bracket under the passenger seat floor bolts (this was on '84 944). I utilized gutter brackets and about anything else I could think of. Remember you cannot make it too stiff as you definitely do not want the extinguisher flying around the inside of the car!!!!! If you do this and have to replace the bolts for the seat mount, remember to get an appropriate grade of bolt. Your other problem is extinguisher source. Most commonly found extinguishers have plastic brackets. You need to seek out one with metal brackets and get a double strap. Most racing suppliers will have what you're looking for. You may wish to consider that DE requirements aside this is really a good item to have at all times and that easily justifies the $100 or so for a good and proper mount and extinguisher. Hopefully if you ever have to use it it will be to save someone else. Good Luck and enjoy the DE
Old 08-16-2001 | 07:03 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Dan, where are you doing a DE where a mounted Fire Extinguisher is a requirement? Not knocking it, damned good idea but just suprised. Most of the DE literature I have read stipulates a charged Fire Extinguisher per paddock (ergo leave it at the paddock but have it should your hot exhaust ignite the grass). I am wondering if the cross bar is a better location. If you did - G-d forbid - have an "event" and an instructor or student in the car getting the FE might be more problematic though someone's legs.

Just a thought and if you don't have a roll bar/cage probably doesn't help.
Old 08-17-2001 | 12:31 AM
Dan W
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies. The NCR
( North COuntry Region )
requires an extinquisher.
Old 08-17-2001 | 12:38 AM
keith
Drifting

Wink

Adam, for you that's definitely better - how you gonna reach an extinguisher by the pass. floorboards while in a harness?
Old 08-17-2001 | 10:00 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm facing the same dilemma, and am planning on raiding my local hardware store. I figured I would get some angle iron under the seat, and mount the bracket on the extinguisher to that.

Then a freind that used to DE a lot told me he mounted his to the back seat. I don't know exactly where the metal is, or whether the rules changed. He said he just flipped the seat down during the event. Maybe it was mounted in the back by the hatch.

I will question him further next time I see him, as well as question the good PCA members tomorrow at the autox, and report back.
Old 08-17-2001 | 11:25 AM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Neighboring CVR has a similar fire extinguisher rule, and I think it is a good idea.

Mine is the typical unit with metal bracket. It's mounted in the rear footwell on the vertical face below the rear seat bottom, passenger side, just above the floor. Fastened through the carpet and the sheet metal behind. Mounting it there is a common solution.

Thank God I haven't had to (yet) but I can reach it okay while harnessed in.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinquisher Mount