Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time estimate for a head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time estimate for a head gasket?

Never did one on a 944. Am fairly handy with a wrench and have changed my own WP belts rollers etc before myself. So ball park how long of a job is it? Been doing my research and I am thinking one long day should get it done.

This comes from the fact that the exhaust stub is broke off in the block, and nothing is working. It is the very bottom bit of the stud, it's in there deep.

Considering pulling the head and putting on the spare from a 85.5 parts car. Will have it inspected before hand. Would use the chance to put on powder coated intake and exhaust manifolds, nice painted cam tower and of course replace all the gaskets. Advice welcome.

And last but not least Happy Easter everyone.

Michael
Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A day would be enough with your past experience.

The process is lengthened by WYAIT (while you are in there) jobs if not up to date.
AOS seals
Clean the ICV
Test the lifters & replace "soft"
Exhaust stub work while engine installed and difficulty to repair--the "nothing is working" situation.
Tension and retension of belts once complete.
Seal leaks in the lower balance shaft housing. (Rear "O" ring)
More? Yup, just the beginning.
Removing "carefully" all old gasket material can consume more than a couple of hours. I use Acetone, soft blades, Scotch pads --still takes hours.

Do not remove the top carbon seal ring on the cylinder walls. Helps seal.

If you must clean the tops of the pistons, seal the piston top to cylinder wall with grease ---then remove-lower the piston and wipe away --to prevent chips of carbon getting between the cyl wall and piston skirt.

One weekend or 2 full days if all goes well.

I list removed items as I take them off or disconnect. I spent a couple of hours when the connection to the AFM was not on tight.

Thanks for the Easter greeting and good luck. Enjoy the day.
J_AZ
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

head gasket = valve cover gasket?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by veleno
head gasket = valve cover gasket?
Removing the cam tower (looks like a valve cover) and the engine head.

Michael
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Michael.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd say roughly 6 hours. Remove the head with the exhaust manifold attached. Make sure you have the triple square driver for the camshaft bolt. And a long 6mm allen wrench socket for the cam box bolts.

May want to put in a fresh water pump and belts while you're in there. Also might want to change the oil pump drive gear, front main seal and balance shaft seals while you're in there.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
I'd say roughly 6 hours. Remove the head with the exhaust manifold attached. Make sure you have the triple square driver for the camshaft bolt. And a long 6mm allen wrench socket for the cam box bolts.

May want to put in a fresh water pump and belts while you're in there. Also might want to change the oil pump drive gear, front main seal and balance shaft seals while you're in there.
Thanks Van. WP and BB are only four months in the car and my TB is a gates kevlar less than two years old, but the other stuff sounds great. Especially since the front main seal started leaking after the WP install.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

45 minutes; Bars Leaks/Blue Devil.
28 k miles and still pegging the redline with no worries !!!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
45 minutes; Bars Leaks/Blue Devil.
28 k miles and still pegging the redline with no worries !!!
Not all of us are 944 'Tony Starks' like you dude. Those are two different products correct? So you used them with a gasket correct?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

i was losing a gallon of coolant about every 5 miles out the tail pipe.

a friend suggested headgasket sealer [once the coolant was out]....

i first used a 60 dollar bottle of Bars Leaks headgasket sealer... added to 100 percent H2O as per instructions.....

about 18k miles later i was losing a bit of coolant [turned out to be via the H2O pump which had 60 k miles, and it's now well established that Porsche's replacement pumps are junk.... proven again] and added Blue Devil just to be safe....

changed out the belts and H2O pump [now 600 miles ago] and put in distilled water.... added more Blue Devil with the cap off.... and about 2 hours later after evaporating some of the water, i added about 3/4 gallon of antifreeze [concentrate].

i changed to Blue Devil because all the mechanics i talked with, said it was a superior product to maintain a successfully treated head gasket. had one mechanic tell me that a solid like Bars Leaks plus Blue Devil was an unbeatable combo, [solid, then later to add the liquid] because the Blue Devil forms an epoxy layer [like clearcoat] over the solid.

but who can be sure. but i've got a car that's running good [for a year] without pulling the head or getting hot.

as far as Tony Starks, "oh man, i just ride em... i don't know what makes 'em work."
as a mechanic, i'm in the purely anecdotal category as everyone knows [illustrated in the following clip].

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 04-03-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Did you mention this in your CL ad for your used motor?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

yes.

the buyer (a neighbor of yours) is 100% aware of the headgasket failure.

i'm much more concerned that he may have to re-coat the cylinders.

but he's also prepared to take on that challenge....
Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F40LM
Never did one on a 944. Am fairly handy with a wrench and have changed my own WP belts rollers etc before myself. So ball park how long of a job is it? Been doing my research and I am thinking one long day should get it done.

This comes from the fact that the exhaust stub is broke off in the block, and nothing is working. It is the very bottom bit of the stud, it's in there deep.

Considering pulling the head and putting on the spare from a 85.5 parts car. Will have it inspected before hand. Would use the chance to put on powder coated intake and exhaust manifolds, nice painted cam tower and of course replace all the gaskets. Advice welcome.

And last but not least Happy Easter everyone.

Michael
Originally Posted by John_AZ
A day would be enough with your past experience.

The process is lengthened by WYAIT (while you are in there) jobs if not up to date.
AOS seals
Clean the ICV
Test the lifters & replace "soft"
Exhaust stub work while engine installed and difficulty to repair--the "nothing is working" situation.
Tension and retension of belts once complete.
Seal leaks in the lower balance shaft housing. (Rear "O" ring)
More? Yup, just the beginning.
Removing "carefully" all old gasket material can consume more than a couple of hours. I use Acetone, soft blades, Scotch pads --still takes hours.

Do not remove the top carbon seal ring on the cylinder walls. Helps seal.

If you must clean the tops of the pistons, seal the piston top to cylinder wall with grease ---then remove-lower the piston and wipe away --to prevent chips of carbon getting between the cyl wall and piston skirt.

One weekend or 2 full days if all goes well.

I list removed items as I take them off or disconnect. I spent a couple of hours when the connection to the AFM was not on tight.

Thanks for the Easter greeting and good luck. Enjoy the day.
J_AZ
Originally Posted by Van

Van,

You are one of the most respected RL members and I have watched & bookmarked all your videos and many posts.
Your garage and tools make my garage pathetic.

6 hours?

You have previously posted the "shop hours" is about 10? and add more if a problem.
F4OLM has a broken stud.

Porsche Doc says 11 hours..

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...n-an-83-a.html

Just to torque the head takes an hour or more. Clarks lists "wait" time between steps at 15 minutes. I wait at least 30 minutes between steps.

Just a courteous disagreement on your 6 hour time.
I tend to be more realistic.

J_AZ
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Van ?

why yes; our dear friend could do it. i betcha he could.

having been inside the sacred walls of the Temple,

i know he is no mere mortal.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM
bordin34
Pro

About 7 hours seems right I did mine about a month ago. That is if all your gaskets come off cleanly.
I spent another 5-6 hours scraping off the old cam tower gasket while using High VOC Gasket remover that burns hands.

Quick Reply: Time estimate for a head gasket?