Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 01:29 PM
JohnK944T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to get insurance?

Hello!

No one really wants to give me insurance. My driving record is not the issue as you may first guess. I have a 944 Turbo with mass air and a powerhouse turbo. My standard insurance company said no thanks after discussing the cars value. What do folks do for PCA Driver Ed events or autocrosses?

I tried Leland West but they say 5k and no aftermarket modifications..... Help.

JohnK
Old 07-11-2001, 01:35 PM
Craig944
Banned

Angry

5K!!!!!!!
LOL!
I pay 621$ a year for my Porsche 944 N/A. =)
Old 07-11-2001, 02:14 PM
Tabor
Drifting

State Farm is suposedly good for modified cars. I someone on the board uses them for their modified 951. I use them for my not modified 944. I however am 18 and pay $3000 a year (for full comprehensive).
Old 07-11-2001, 03:00 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb

There is a company that put out a freebie called "top rate". Unfortunately they just "suspended" the software (free download).. The user would enter in all the attributes, i.e., name, address, age, type of car, how much it is driven, what year it is, + 50 other pieces of info. Finally, it then gives you a list of all the insurance companies and the price they would charge you per year based onthe information given. Very cool. After that, one calls the company (or broker) and asks for a quote. You already knwo which one is the cheapest. Sucks they don't have it up. There were some things in the application that were a little hard to understand, but all in all, it was a thorough app. A friend might still have it on his hdd which i may be able to post later.

Here's he link nonetheless: Quadrant Information Services

Anybody use it before?

d.
Will work (TCP/IP) for food and new suspension on my NA....
Old 07-11-2001, 04:36 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tabor, I may have talked about State Farm on my car and the "good" deal they have been giving me.

Of course they have never had to pay off on a claim in 10 years and wouldn't give me any help when a woman with insurance problems backed into my car and busted the euro fog/driving light. That worked out OK in the end and the other insurance company paid for the "upgraded" lens to restore it to "as equipped" condition. I think that was more of an issue of little cost differential and their insured's problem situation. And I brought some heat to bear from the government.

State Farm has never asked me about modifications and the rate is dirt cheap, about 600 a year. But I'm 40's and 10 year clean driving record with no claims.

It has to be a bitch for the younger kids. And I would not like the fight to collect full value if my car was trashed. Insurance is like bankers and their loans. When the sun shines they want to give you a hundred unbrellas, for a "small" fee. The moment a cloud appears, they want them all back. -g-
Old 07-11-2001, 05:13 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Well...hmmm...I just went through the whole "wreck your car and yell at the insurance company" thing. As some of you may remember, a friend of mine was driving my car after preakness because I was tanked and he was not, and he spun it out on an exit ramp and caused $8000 worth of damage. Well, I have no qualms about my insurance company...in fact, they were very easy to work with. I told them the truth about everything that happened, and my rates stayed the same, just the driver, my friend, is banned from driving any cars on my policy for 5 years. The adjuster screwed up and never looked underneath the car, where $3800 worth of the damage occured, so they probably would have totaled the car if they saw this, but the body shop (which they let me choose) found this damage after they already started working on the car and ordered some of the parts. The insurance company bought me my shiny 3" SS exhaust system and was willing to buy a front splitter to replace the black guard underneath the front fascia, but unfortunately, GT racing was out of town when they were ordering the parts, and I couldn't remember the name of the other people who make one (AIR maybe?) or how to contact them. Anyways, the damage ended up being in excess of $8000, of which I payed $475 (deductable), and I am pretty sure they would have totaled the car if they knew this before, but now I got a nice 951 with half of the car painted and a shiny exhaust.

Oh...my insurance company is nationwide, and I payed (before I bought another car which I am selling next week) $160 / month or about $1900 a year for full coverage on my 951 classified as my weekend/fun car, and liability on my VW Fox which doesn't even run anymore and doesn't have any windows (a tree fell on it) and is sitting in a junk yard. I am 22 years old, and my only violation in the last 3 years was running a stop sign in florida (I had a speeding ticket, but neither me nor the cop showed up for court so it disappeared), and I have about 5 really awful vioations from long ago that I care not to discuss. Anyways, I was impressed with how my insurance company handled things, especially after hearing so many people (you all included) bitch about what a pain in the *** their insurance company is.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:46 PM
Tabor
Drifting

ribs: I just though I should point out that I love my insurance company. I have had to make 2 claims.
  • Scratched, chipped windshield.
  • Someone broke in and stole my stereo.

Both times they were very quick with excellent service. They also have very competitive rates (here in Oregon). They are less than Progressive and American Family. And willing to insure an 18 year old in a Porsche!
Old 07-11-2001, 08:21 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Tabor, finally someone else who doesn't hate their insurance company! Which company do you have?

-----edit-----

duh...statefarm...should have read the rest of the post. One of my friends got dropped by statefarm, but it was because he was an idiot and had a suspended license for a year for not paying a $200 speeding ticket and not showing up for court.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:20 PM
R. Miller
Intermediate

I'm more than likely getting a 951 in the summer. From Geico they will charge $720/6 months max for the car (minus student discount 'cause i is a smarty boy). Not bad considering grange charges $800/6 months on a '93 mx-6. with an accident three years ago they're not charging for it and a speeding ticket a year ago (which i took a course exempting me from insurance charging for it). that's liability only. where can you get full coverage for $800/ 6 months or so?
Old 07-11-2001, 10:25 PM
R. Miller
Intermediate

p.s. why does it matter what mods you make? unless you invest in a new engine, etc. it shouldn't affect insurance price. racing solo II does not raise the rates either. i find it difficult to pay difference in liability vs full coverage when a new front bumper from GT racing is only $500 max. But a totaled car is a totaled car....it's all a gamble in my opinion. so let's hear it, what's the cheapest full coverage insurer?
Old 07-11-2001, 10:31 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

I'm 22 and payed 950 every 6 months (all though I pay every month through automatic deduction) for full coverage on a 951 as a weekend/fun car and a disfunct VW fox as my daily driver. Now I pay about $800 a year more for having a Celica All-trac added as a weekend car, but I am selling it next week because that car sucks.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:32 PM
JohnK944T
Advanced

Wink

Alright Guys

This is what I learned today.. The fastest phone dialer is an uninsured Porsche owner. I called about 10 places that specialized in specialty car insurance. My reasons behind this are I don't want to end up in a battle with my insurance company. My guess is my car is worth 8-9K, but I have receipts for about 12k worth of parts saying that the value may be more then that 9k book. And yes I am afraid to say some of these parts may make the car go faster..

I was really surprised about the questions I was asked, i.e. How old is your primary car? If you specialty car is not 25 years old and you are under age 30, sorry you don't qualify.. What up with that?

Ultimately, Grundy Worldwide appears to have the best rate. I am still a little skeptical, I asked for an application so I will give you more info when I read the fine print. They said no problem with the mods., and will cover a total value of $15k for $280 per 6 months. That is better then my company that dumped me..

Now I am 27 y/o and have a good record for at least 4 years. I really feel for the guys that pay four figures because of their age. Statistically accurate/morally wrong!!

There has to be a lawyer/insurance agent type on this board that could give us all some good advice. What are the top 3 issues to be concerned with insurance? Anyone with some pointers??

This Board Rocks!
JohnK
Old 07-12-2001, 12:06 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a pretty good price for stand alone insurance.

The big thing about insurance is whether they will still be around when you have a claim and whether they will fight you on payoff or be reasonable. If they are in financal trouble they will try and beat you up on payoff. Having a good agent that will stand up for you can make all the difference in the world.

All the "strange" questions they ask are attempts to figure out what sort of a risk profile you are. Nothing is set in stone in this biz and in a perfect world all they are trying to do is figure out what they need to charge to come out to the plus when everything is said and done.

I think Tina Turner had her legs insured. Very fine legs to be sure, especially for a woman towards 60, but I can see some risk in that. So you start asking questions. If she answers that she likes to skydive every other day, there go the rates up to the sky.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:46 PM
Court
4th Gear

JohnK,

You mentioned that you called about 10 places that specialized in specialty car insurance. Can you list those? I am also looking for some good specialty coverage.

Thanks.

Court
'83 911SC Cabriolet
Old 11-29-2001, 03:12 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

John,

It sounds like you are going to get a good deal(if all the fine print checks out). I have to agree with ribs concerning Nationwide(my insurer). I pay $840.00 a year, 29, clean record(knock wood), classified as a "limited use" vehicle. They even upped the insurance value of my car once I showed them the Excellence market report, classifieds from Pano. and receipts.(86 951)
Although I haven't had to file a claim yet.

Eric

Quick Reply: Where to get insurance?