Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Psychedelic op-art checkerboard seats... ever in a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 10:17 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Psychedelic op-art checkerboard seats... ever in a 944?

Hola, I have always been fond of the freaky-deaky swirled checkerboard seats Porsche put in some 928's. My questions:

Did they ever put them in 944s oe only 928s?

Did they ever make them with a different pallet besides balcak and white... say, burgundy and white? See, I have a burgundy interior...

Just askin'...

Thaddeus
Old 02-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those god awful (I think so) checker/plaid seats were available in the '88 Silver Rose Turbo S.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Yo, I don't mean the straight-up checkerboard. I mean the Andy Warhol-esque swirled checkerboard. Even worse than bogawful. Totally over the top! So my interest is piqued.

Thaddeus
Old 02-25-2002, 11:56 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

If I'm not mistaken the 82 had them also and I believe they came in at least 2 colors in the silver rose.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:35 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

just checked with "Ye Olde Peter Morgan" and it says that the "Pasha velour" utilised brown/beige, light brown/cream, among other shades. it was an option starting in 1980 til about 1984 with the 924. give another decade (or two), it might be cool. love to find that "porsche cloth". bet it can be still found because i've seen it on late 80s 911s and i think the 951s had it too, although i'm guessing at this point.

speaking of which, i have been thinking about the future and i just wonder how long we all be able to still drive gasoline/petrol/benzine powered cars. i'm keen on the BMW hydrogen thing. nothing like water as a the "waste" product. any thoughts out there in cyberland?
Old 02-26-2002, 04:35 AM
Danno
Race Director

Personally, I like the Mr. Fusion idea from 'Back to the Future'!
Old 02-26-2002, 04:52 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That scheme was available in the 931 of '80 vintage. That is for certain. If you had a couple drinks it hurt your head just looking at it and getting in. I don't think I would repeat it, which you must be considering doing.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:52 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Anybody got a pic of the seats in a 931?

As for the alternative fuel debate, I'm placing my bets on a hybrid electric/IC vehicle running off of propane, alcohol or some other renewable combustible.

Thaddeus
Old 02-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thad,

I saw the seats in a 944 on E-bay about 1 yr. ago. The car also had some other unique options, so I don't think they were added. Although they were the standard black-and-white checkerboard pattern(not any of the plaids like the Silver Rose or 924 Sebring).

Eric
Old 02-26-2002, 06:20 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

I found a picture in that Brian Long 944 book. It was an '83 I believe.

.....nahhhhhhhhhhhh...

Thaddeus
Old 02-26-2002, 06:52 PM
bs
Pro

well, maybe i should start an OT thread on this... but i could type up a really long list of all the reasons why i think hybrid and fuel cell cars are not economically viable. I was in charge of engine and 12V electronics for a year and then control system + everything electrical for another year on a university hybrid vehicle competition team.... we built a hybrid suburban, and it was a lot of fun but convinced me that the wave of the future will be something else...

the problem with hydrogen stems from how it is stored--at many thousands of pounds of pressure. think of the kind of infrastructure that would have to exist for every tank, hose and truck, and pump that now distributes gasoline to instead be used for 3000psi hydrogen. and refining hydrogen from petroleum in-vehicle is just plain dumb.

as for hybrids... the concept is good but battery technology is waaaaay behind. we built our suburban with a lead acid pack which worked ok, but was heavy as hell, required all kinds of charging electronics and probably would have had a service life of a year or two. just imagine 26 deep cycle car batteries under your car, and counting the days until they start to fail... not to mention we at least doubled the number of high maintenance parts on that vehicle. take an ordinary IC driven powertrain, add in throttle by wire electronics, a seperate electric powertrain, batteries, etc. I can't wait until all those stupid prius' and insights start to wear out in a few years and those dumb "eco-concious" soccer moms realize they have a heap of crap that can only be serviced by the dealer and will cost twice its purchase cost to repair.

ok, rant over.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:17 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Ben:

"Dumb eco-concious soccer moms"? How's about people who put their money where their values are? What's wrong with that?

I'm sure there will be all sorts of problems with the hybrid technology. It's new, after all. I'm sure there were plenty of people snickering and mocking the IC engine powered automobiles between, say, 1890 and 1920. But the technology proved itself over time, as the engineers had a chance to refine the products.

The best engineers are the ones with vision, not a "Get a Horse!" mentality. F. Porsche would've understood.

End of counter-rant.

Thaddeus
Old 02-27-2002, 07:45 AM
nib5
Instructor

First off, I quite like the op-art seats - I think they are supposed to look like a waving chequered flag. I can see how they would not be to everyone's taste - and if they mess with your head after drinking, then they should be considered a safety feature.

Re: engine tech
The first Dr. Porsche designed a hybrid electric and petrol engined racing car built in 1907. In 1902 he had created an electric car with (wait for it) front wheel drive.

There is nothing new under the sun, just about every idea being proposed as the next big thing can usually be traced back decades. The prime determining factor of whether the concept is realised is the need for the technology (or the vested interests of those providing the previous one - ie. Big Oil). The IC engine, for better or worse, is 19th century technology in an increasingly refined form. It served well when fuel was cheap, numbers were limited and its emissions were considered vastly better than tonnes of horse manure blanketing the streets.

Most drivers don't care what the motive power of a vehicle is - provided it is cost effective, reliable and doesn't reduce performance or flexibility. Obviously, the IC engine will retain an enthusiastic following when eventually replaced (just like analogue music formats - I still have and love my record player), but it will become a minority interest.

The energy companies are beginning to see the writing on the wall and will obviously want to be the dominant players in any new fuels - there is still a lot of oil, but it is getting more expensive to get out of the ground. If a cheaper way of making money can be developed, I can be pretty sure that they will try to find it.

If the transistor hadn't been invented in 1947, then my desktop computer would certainly not be "economically viable". That development came about because someone thought 'there's got to be something more efficient than the thermionic valve'.

Bring on the hydrogen cars! - can I have a silver jumpsuit as well? - then I'll know it's the 21st century.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:33 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

All I can say is it better fly ala jetsons style!
Old 02-27-2002, 10:15 AM
jta944
Intermediate

Cool

Guess what? My 1980 931 just happens to have the checkerboard pattern door panels and seats in it. Not in the best of shape, mind you. Here is a pix of the interior of my "work in progress". This was my first Porsche, now undergoing the dreaded turbo replacement. Only paid $1,000 for it, can you tell? I have many parts awaiting install in the spring, dash kit,160 mph guages,944 spoiler, 951 intercooler, etc. Sorry for the "small" pix!!! I tend to do everything in a big way!

Quick Reply: Psychedelic op-art checkerboard seats... ever in a 944?