Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not too Happy Right Now...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by nofalls
... I carried a bat in the boot of the Spit in case I ever ran into the guy that put the cat under the intake manifold and carb float bowl.
LOL, Lucas electrics and SU carburetors where the best thing that happened in the automotive world by contributing to the decline of the British car industry. I am sure if British Leyland were still going they would be designing ECU's with valves and relays.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunkerz

The engineers that designed this engine deserve to go to jail for their crimes against humanity.
i've been following your threads. we are all feeling your pain. and disgust. i'm fairly sure with most of the guys it's silent disgust. but this is also a man's site, and i can be obnoxious. but, i don't mean any harm. i know for a fact that 944s have been set aside and eventually abandoned due to unresolved no starts. this pisses me off to no end, because at the core, i like the cars. i probably got more attached to my 944 than half of you all. i still miss it bad... in my opinion, some of the guys seem to give Porsche a pass on the electrical systems, because the rest of the cars are so good. and they kind of go with the flow about the wires...... but we've seen countless do-it-yourselfer's and good general automotive techs left scratching their heads... after witnessing endless no start /(i'm going to blow this thing up) threads, it's become obvious that the electrical systems fall anywhere between highly suspect and full abomination.

i saw a bunch of vintage cars drive by today in Fort Pierce..... and one of them was this chopped roadster thing with the side panels on the engine bay off and a Chevy small block just doing it's thing in the open air.... nice ceramic headers. thing was spotless. he ran along side me for a mile or so in traffic heading toward the intercoastal.... someone had the ignition and wires mounted in about an hour.

Originally Posted by m73m95
99% of all problems with the 944 can be traced to the space between the steering wheel and drivers seat.

i didn't do my belts today. i know better. but i also disagree with the 99%. i think it's more like 90~95%.

with the other part falling under the "there's no perfect Porsche" category.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odurandina
i'm fairly sure with most of the guys it's silent disgust.
You guys can hate me all you want, I don't care. You're just some random people out there on the internet that I'll never see in my life.

this is also a man's site, and i can be obnoxious. but, i don't mean any harm.
None taken.

i know for a fact that 944s have been set aside and eventually abandoned due to unresolved no starts. this pisses me off to no end
I would never leave my car to rot after getting fed up with it. I'd just pass the problem onto someone else and laugh at their pain and suffering.

(i'm going to blow this thing up) threads
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

to be clear, i mean silent disgust with our car's electrical/alarms and how they're bundled.

you ever notice that certain parts of our carpets get really moist (or worse) after a good rain ?

that's where the alarms are located.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Just a shout out for ECU Doctors. They were extremely ethical with me, and did great work on my DME and KLR. I was convinced my KLR had a problem and practically had to beg them to take my money. They asked me a million questions on the phone and were worried I'd spend the $350 or whatever and not fix my problem. Sorry Chunkerz about your mix up with them, but my experience strongly suggests you had an honest miscommunication.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tank
Think of it this way, what you're learning now will be useful for the next 944
IF I ever get another 944, I'm going to make sure I buy one that's 110% sorted out. I never want to go through this again...
Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Just a shout out for ECU Doctors. They were extremely ethical with me, and did great work on my DME and KLR. I was convinced my KLR had a problem and practically had to beg them to take my money. They asked me a million questions on the phone and were worried I'd spend the $350 or whatever and not fix my problem. Sorry Chunkerz about your mix up with them, but my experience strongly suggests you had an honest miscommunication.
Yeah, it was my fault, not theirs. They were very polite on the phone and when I asked them why they fixed it without asking they told me the exact same thing you guys said: i didn't tell them not to fix it.

I'm still suspicious of the zappos charge I got after I spoke to them on the phone. Hopefully my bank can track that bastard down and bring them to my doorstep so I can make them beg for mercy as I pull their intestines out their mouth.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 PM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Head gasket went on January 22nd.
Since replacing it I have been having tons of trouble getting the cam tower to seal.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 PM
ditch68
Racer

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
IF I ever get another 944, I'm going to make sure I buy one that's 110% sorted out. I never want to go through this again...

Yeah, it was my fault, not theirs. They were very polite on the phone and when I asked them why they fixed it without asking they told me the exact same thing you guys said: i didn't tell them not to fix it.

I'm still suspicious of the zappos charge I got after I spoke to them on the phone. Hopefully my bank can track that bastard down and bring them to my doorstep so I can make them beg for mercy as I pull their intestines out their mouth.
But working on them is half the fun!! Hang in there, man. It will get better.

Intestines out of mouth. I like that.

Jeff
Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eh my turbo has been down since July of 2011 and even as I see the light at the end of the tunnel it fights me.

I mean these are 22+ yr old german sports cars based on a car designed in the mid 70's, you are bound to run into problems.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:06 PM
ditch68
Racer

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Eh my turbo has been down since July of 2011 and even as I see the light at the end of the tunnel it fights me.

I mean these are 22+ yr old german sports cars based on a car designed in the mid 70's, you are bound to run into problems.

Yes, and in my opinion, well worth it all when they are on and running.

Jeff
Old 03-31-2013, 01:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

hang in there ??? when they are on and running ???

wow. we really are bottom feeding today.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bordin34
Head gasket went on January 22nd.
Since replacing it I have been having tons of trouble getting the cam tower to seal.
Where on the can tower is it leaking? Did the gasket surface get damaged at all? Did you remove the remains of the old gasket?
Originally Posted by ditch68
Intestines out of mouth. I like that.
Jeff
I'm glad someone likes my jokes.
Originally Posted by Dougs951

I try not to look at the end of the tunnel because I know I'm never going to reach it. It's almost like the end of the tunnel is a mirage when working on these cars.
Originally Posted by ditch68
Yes, and in my opinion, well worth it all when they are on and running.

Jeff
I agree. Even though my car was slower than molasses, the radio barely worked, the transmission shifted like ****, and it was hotter than hell in the summer, it always managed to put a smile on my face every time I drove it. And it wowed the ladies, which was another big reason I really liked this car
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha its not a mirage, the only reason my turbo went down is I got the go faster bug.

My S2 has been pretty much problem free for 2 years now.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

I had that bug at one point with my VW. The only cure is to have something expensive break so spend your money on that instead. It says that you're in MD, like me, so give me a call and I'll stop by and break something for you to cure your disease.

Quick Reply: Not too Happy Right Now...