Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 shock and strut choices?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 03:50 PM
RCKinstler
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944S2 shock and strut choices?

The shocks on my '89 S2 are starting to leak.
They are Koni yellow Sports. Was this
original equipment on a non M030 car?
What if I would rather have the ride of
Koni Red or something like it? What's
possible for both front and rear on my car?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:09 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Koni's were not standard on your non-M030 car. The only options now are stock replacements (OEM Boge), or Koni Yellows. Reds are not available for the sealed strut cars. Koni Yellows for sealed strut cars are sold out everywhere... from what I can tell. The replacement insert-type strut will be available in November this year. The only other options are geared towards the race side of the house, which it doesn't sound like you're interested in?

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2001, 10:28 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Question

OK Skip, now you have me thinking.

My 89 S2 with 64k has the original struts, I guess I am due for a change soon.

What is the difference between the Boge, Yellow, and Reds (lets throw in Bistein and Tokiko while we're at it if made)

Will the insert for the Yellow's fit in my Boge strut? If no, is my choice either Boge's or new Yellow struts?

Thanks in advance. I've been meaning to ask this for a few weeks.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:39 AM
RCKinstler
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Skip:
<STRONG>...The only options now are stock replacements (OEM Boge...</STRONG>
That's the first time I've seen any
mention of Boge in reference to this car.
Boge is part of Sachs, correct? So, a
Sachs supplier should list a Boge set
for my car, or are you talking about items
only available as a Porsche part? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:11 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Comparing them is pretty easy actually... the Sachs/Boge is soft, the Red is medium, the Yellow is hard... though not too hard for street use. The reds are not available for sealed struts... the yellows are out of stock. All Konis are adjustable in at least rebound (power), and some are double-adjustable... rebound and compression. The Yellow is the only type going to be available in November, and will be single-adjustable. For the S2, there is still the option of swapping out all the strut assembly for a double-adjustable M030 strut. These are hard to find, but you can call for availability when the time nears. I have no personal experience with the Bilsteins, but these are not adjustable, and are most times considered too harsh for street cars. Didn't even know Tokiko made shocks for the S2... YMMV

BTW, the new Koni Sport inserts will fit inside all 944/968 sealed struts... even the single adjustable Konis... and will be priced ~$150 each. A real bargain considering the prices for the original sealed units. Once the first set comes in, we'll be sure to fully document the procedure with pictures and installation impressions to ease the mind.

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2001, 03:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My wife has herniated disks. If I put the Yellow's in, am I essentially exiling her from the car?

My brother's 84 has the yellows, will the ride be similar?

I know tires and wheels come into play, but from the drivers seat, it's hard to believe my 89S2 is the same car as his 84. The 89 feels much bigger and heavier (more than the app 300lbs it is)

Also, are there any other choices besides Boge or Yellow, and can I get just inserts for the Boge's

Thanks, Im starting to plan a raid on the piggy bank already.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:28 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If not changing the springs, I would think the Konis are okay... but that's a matter of opinion, and given your last comment, you might want to keep the ride as soft as possible. Nothing else available for the S2 that I know of that would be softer than a Koni Sport. Your struts are sealed and will not accept a slip-in cartridge... until the new Konis come out, but they have a special application.
Old 08-23-2001, 07:35 PM
Evan Moen
Banned

My company makes motorsport dampers for many different types of vehicles including Porsche.

Evan Moen
Director / Engineer
Moriss Dampers
(Metro Detroit, USA)
<A HREF="http://www.morissdampers.com" TARGET=_blank>[/URL]
]
For More 944 suspension pictures:
[URL=http://www.morissdampers.com/specs/944S2.htm]944 Suspension Pictures</A>
Old 08-27-2001, 04:13 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no personal experience with the Bilsteins, but these are not adjustable, and are most times considered too harsh for street cars.
There's two models of Bilsteins, heavy-duty and sport. These correspond roughly with the red and yellow Konis. But, they operate over a wider range of bumps and velocities than Konis due to their deCarbon valving. And being of single-tube design, don't overheat as easily as well. Check these guys out:
http://www.shox.com
Old 08-27-2001, 10:05 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Question

I copied this from Shox.com:
"Tips on determining what shocks your car has: Red = generally KONI. Green = generally Bilstein; Yell"

I thought yellow was koni, and red was Boge. Which is correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:25 PM
BentOn944
AutoX

I replaced the stock Sachs shocks / struts with the Koni sport (yellow) this spring and am very pleased with them. If you go with the Koni sport, I suggest you go out to the Koni website and then order them through Summit Racing. They had to custom order for me, it took about 1-1/2 weeks to get the parts, but I saved quite a bit of money compared to other dealers.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:48 PM
rfuerst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a question,if your Koni Yellows are starting to leak and they have a lifetime warranty can they be repaired or replaced under warranty by Koni?
Old 09-09-2001, 03:51 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If they are aftermarket and you are the purchaser, yes. If they are original equipment, then the manufacturer warranty was the only recourse available. You can contact them directly at www.koni-na.com to discuss your options.

KONI North America
1961 International Way • Hebron • KY • 41048
Telephone: (859) 586-4100 • Fax 859) 334-3340

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 944S2 shock and strut choices?