Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S Cam chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 09:27 AM
Keith - 87 944S
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 944S Cam chain tensioner

Here are the details:
1987 944S 16V
I started it the other day and had a very bad (is there any other type) grinding noise. I pulled into the garage and pulled the valve cover and discovered the cam chain tensioner had no pads. At least the top one was totally gone and the bottom one was about half there.

So, I check this site and it has a link to http://boerger.golden-tech.com/, but it is not up (connection refused). Does anyone know of a mirror of this site or the information it had about the cam chain tensioner?

I've found information on the parts needed except for the lower pad. It seems this is not available. Should I just replace the whole tensioner? Does someone know where I can get the lower pad? Best prices on parts?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 08-06-2001, 02:13 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lower pad is not available. You will need to replace the whole unit. Also, there is an updated J-tube that you will want to get as well.

You may want to check the condition of the chain, but this is a little harder to replace as it involves the removal of the cams - a procedure only for the hardcore DIY'er. It is the breaking of the chain on the metal part of the tensioner that causes the catastrophic failure (worse than losing the timing belt). If your chain shows any signs of damage I would have it replaced. Personally, I would replace it just to be safe. If that chain breaks you are looking at a thousands of dollars in damage. Also, there may be the possibility that the cam timing has been altered, but this is pure speculation.

Not sure of where to get the parts, but you may want to try Pelican, Paragon, or Zims. All three of them are Rennlist sponsors and their contact information can be found by clicking on "Go To The Main Rennlist Web Site" at the bottom of the left hand index. The link to the sponsors will be at the top of the page.

Out of curiosity, what is the mileage on the car? I have heard that the tensioner unit needs to be replaced every 90K. I replaced my pad at about 67K and I will replace the whole tensioner (and maybe even the chain) at 90K.

You got real lucky - you were very close to a total engine melt-down. But I guess you knew that.

If you want more information, I would post to the 944S2 E-mail: 944-s2@rennlist.org . You may have to go to the main site and register to post. There has been a lot of discussion on the topic and I have read the stories of more than one 16 valver who lost their engine in this manner.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:51 PM
Keith - 87 944S
4th Gear

The car has 90K miles, so it's time it get's replaced. The chain looks good, no marks or anything like that. I don't want to replace it because it is probably beyond my ability. What should I look for to know whether it's bad or not?

I'm the second owner and the first had to replace the head, probably due to a broken timing belt. I probably can find out what was done to the head at that time (ie. new parts vs salvaged from the old head).
Old 08-06-2001, 06:25 PM
Keith - 87 944S
4th Gear

FYI - I got a price quote from ZIMs for the parts. As best I can tell this is what I need:
> 1 tensioner 944.105.049.01 (I think)
$319.95, in stock

> 1 J-tube 944.105.167.03
$22.00, special order, 1 day lead time

> 4 crush rings for J-tube 900.123.115.30
$.95 ea, in stock

Valve cover gasket set $29.95
Includes all of the following:
> 1 valve cover gasket 928.104.447.09
> 4 spark plugs doughnut seal 928.104.443.08
> 13 rubber grommets for valve cover bolts 928.104.115.02

The list of parts came from 94 Garage site at: http://porsche-944-garage.tripod.com...ual/cam-04.htm

It looks pretty simple. Anything else?

Keith
Old 08-07-2001, 11:34 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're just doing the tensioner, it should be pretty straight forward. I pulled the cam cover on my 968 about a month ago to do a visual inspection on the chain & tensioner, and while all was fine on mine, it looked like the tensioner would be pretty simple to replace, even with the Variocam mechanism. you may want to get some non-hardening gasket sealer; the factory used a tiny bit os something (white) at the corners only.

I'd suggest, unless someone has a better idea, cranking it with the coil wire off the first time afterwards, to pump up the tensioner before engine is actually started. Also get the factory torques on all the bolts, since aluminum threads are notoriously easily stripped.

Jim, do I have to go to work today?
Old 08-15-2001, 10:59 AM
Keith - 87 944S
4th Gear

Just an update. The cam tensioner went in without a hitch and the car is back running.

I replaced the J-tube. It was much different that the original. The original appears to be an S-tube. The new one went in just fine.

I didn't use any gasket sealer, the new gaskets went in slots provided in the cam cover. So far, no leaks.

Does anyone know why there are two black caps on the cam cover? There were two o-rings in the gasket kit for the covers, but I didn't use them since I didn't remove the caps. Why are they there? They can'be removed unless you pull the cam cover. Just odd!!

There is still a rattle that might be the chain. I'm looking into replacing that, but it appears to be a MUCH bigger job.

Quick Reply: 944S Cam chain tensioner