Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cam recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 PM
God_Bot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash cam recommendations

I thought I'd ask here even though this isn't strictly 944 specific because I know many of you track your cars and take video. I'm looking to get a video recorder for my car(s) but haven't a clue where to start.

What I'm looking for...
Portable - I would like to be able to switch it between cars with ease.
Overwriting ability - Memory card gets full then it starts writing over the earliest stuff.
Unobtrusive - Something that doesn't take up my whole windshield, like maybe behind the mirror?
Can be left on with the car off - Surveillance style
Decent enough quality to read license plate in the next lane.

I've wanted one for several months and my cars have recently been vandalized via paintballs shot from another vehicle overnight. Both my 944 and Monte Carlo have dents but the pickup was lucky and took it in the window. I figure I'm looking at $200 in PDR at the moment. If I can keep the camera in that price range then when it catches the (insert favorite insult here) people and they're made to pay for the damages then I can figure I spent the same amount of money as if it hadn't caught them and I paid out of pocket.

My cars weren't the only ones hit, my girlfriend had hers hit several week ago and this newest spree included several houses. The officers said this will happen once or twice a year. I wasn't too upset when the 944 got hit this weekend because I'm about to start on the bodywork, but when they hit my Monte last night I got pretty upset as it just came out of the bodyshop.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go-pro ?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:06 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

How far is the car parked from the house? You might be able to fit a HD wireless camera in there like this: http://www.vuezone.com/

It records to the cloud and you can view through your phone or any computer, plus it doesn't have any storage limit. You will need Internet & a good wireless router though. Worth looking into.

Quick Reply: Dash cam recommendations