Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor problems help me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001 | 12:38 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Take the previous owner to small claims court!!

You have nothing to lose. He knew he had a time bomb, and dumped it right before it exploded. The car isn't a piece or junk, it just needed overdue maintenance that you should have been advised of.

Put yourself in the judge's shoes. If the facts were presented to you, what would you as judge decide?
Old 08-04-2001 | 06:07 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not trying to be a spoiler, but I've been down this path... with a easier to prove negligence problem, a dealer, and an accident incurred. If the car is sold as is, and with a clean title, there is no liability from the seller to the buyer after the sale (unless otherwise stated) save that for criminal and malicious intent (like altering the car to explode on impact, or cross-drilled brake lines). It sucks that there are so many poster children for the "timing-belt" bomb, but that's the nature of the used car biz. Every car has it's quirks, maybe the 944 has a bit more than usual. This is why a pre-purchase inspection and places like Rennlist are necessary. Whenever someone posts to ask "What should I look for?" The timing belt service is always a top priority... "an once of prevention..." et al.

BTW, anything under $1500 for a belt and head work for bent valves is common and proabably fair. The good thing is that most shops will warranty that work for 12/12k as long as you let them do the tensioning intervals (another necessary yet costly evil).

Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2001 | 07:38 PM
Jason_E
Track Day

what is the normal cost to have the belt tensioned at normal intervals
Old 08-04-2001 | 08:33 PM
batman
Track Day

Hi Jason..
Sorry t'hear your tale of woe...
I bough a '87 944na two months ago..
It was in exceptional condition, and had a good service history....but...the first thing I did was have a full service and the timing and balance belts changed....
Unless you've talked to the guy who recently serviced your new aquisition, don't believe anything...shange the belts...
This should be done every 30-40 K miles anyway....
I had a very worn drive-shaft replaced also, after taking invaluable advice from the members of this laudable board...result....I have a car that keeps a permanent smile on my face!...
Regards
Ade
Old 08-05-2001 | 03:13 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Jason_E:
<STRONG>what is the normal cost to have the belt tensioned at normal intervals</STRONG>
1/2 hour labor is what it takes... though most will charge for 1-1.5 hours... so, under $100 (at 2500, and every 15k after that until replacement at 45k... or 30k in hard-driven cars)

Skip

Quick Reply: motor problems help me?