Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahmet at 1.2 gees

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 01:17 PM
daly944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ahmet at 1.2 gees

hi,
I have seen some pics of your car peeling out and I was wondering how you make it peel out without moving? Do you have lsd? if not then how do both of you tires peel out? Thanks. I know that it is really bad for the car to peel out, but I had just heard that the open differential, which is what is being put in my car right now, can't peel out with both tires, which is cool with me.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:20 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Not criticizing your spelling, just trying to help cause I probably made the same error once too -

"gees" should be "g's". 1 g (force of Gravity) = 9.8 m/s2 (or negative if you are doing a physics problem) I think. So when someone says 1.2 g's I think that means he's pulling 9.8m/s2 X 1.2 in lateral force).

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:33 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

I think he is trying to ask ahmet (over1g is his display name, but it used to be 1.2gees on the old board and still is on pelican parts). And 1.2*32 feet per second per second would also work.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:03 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<STRONG>Not criticizing your spelling, just trying to help cause I probably made the same error once too -

"gees" should be "g's". 1 g (force of Gravity) = 9.8 m/s2 (or negative if you are doing a physics problem) I think. So when someone says 1.2 g's I think that means he's pulling 9.8m/s2 X 1.2 in lateral force).

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.</STRONG>
1g is 9.8m/(s^2) not 9.8 m/s2. You asked for it.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:07 PM
Untier
Racer

i beieve gravity sucks at a rate of 9.8 meters per second per second (accelleration due to gravity), just thought id throw that in....
Old 08-03-2001, 08:39 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
By 9.8 m/s2 I meant NINE POINT EIGHT METERS PER SECOND SQUARED, just didn't know how to make a "SQUARE" sign. I suppose I should have used the "raised to the power of" carrot symbol. Thanks for that. But in actuality it should be negative, because the force is pulling down (unless you are referring to lateral g's??). Funny thing though, back in AP Physics SOMETIMES it was negative, and SOMETIMES it wasn't. Ha. It seemed it was only negative when that's what it took to make the problem come out right, same for positive.

One more thing...

If I leave NC in my 89 944 traveling south with a 10 mph tailwind at 1:00PM, and Tabor leaves in his 87 944 Oregon traveling East with 12 mph tailwind at 2:00PM, negating friction and the oceans and the need to stop for gas, where do we meet and at what time? Ha. I love physics. (that's a rhetorical question for those of you who were getting out the pencil and paper)

-Matt
Old 08-03-2001, 10:04 PM
daly944
Instructor

wow, don't you just hate it when your thread starts out about one thing and ends up as another?
Old 08-03-2001, 10:19 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys! I was just walking around the shop here and found some huge boogers stuck to the ceiling. How do you think they got there? I was thinking maybe taking my time getting home tonight... you know like the commercial about laundry soap and medical gloves. How about I meet your parents for some slap-dog. Also, what's up my bushy hair... this isn't the eighties.

I'm sorry, what did you ask?

Skip
Old 08-03-2001, 10:33 PM
daly944
Instructor

now skip, that was just below the belt
Old 08-04-2001, 03:49 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Skip, your absolutely crazy

daly, all you gotta do is dump the clutch at higher rpm's (4000+) to get the rear wheels to get loose. If you want to do this while standing still, you have to slightly depress your front brakes while getting on the gas (heel-toeing it) and peel out. Most drag racers can lock their front brakes independantly of the rear so as they can do massive burnouts to heat up their slicks. If you don't have an LSD, you will probably only get one wheel to peel while the other one will stand perfectly still.
Old 08-04-2001, 05:05 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

Cool

OH, NO! GOD FORBID THAT SOMEBODY ACTUALLY ANSWERED THE QUESTION!!! ARRRGGGGG

Old 08-04-2001, 07:10 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Daly, Please keep in mind 944 na trans housings aren't the strongest castings in the world, I've already broken two. The cheapest fix is to put in a new (used) trans. POAYOR (Peel Out At Your Own Risk)!
Old 08-05-2001, 09:41 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I had cooled off the message boards after some rather pointless posts by mostly new(-er) users...

I decided to print my username as '1.2gees', to replicate how it should be pronounced. Switched over to 'over1g' on many message boards, including this one because the '.2' that my car could push is everchanging it seems. (The car could pull 1.2gs on level ground, on street tires).

As for the burnouts, the clutch was never dropped, not at over ~3200 (good auto-x launch rpm for me). I used to drive around in a tight circle, then punch the gas which is a ton easier on the whole driveline than just dropping the clutch from a dead start I'm sure. I never use the brake, the car was always in motion. (Think of my tail out-fun driving as an extension of what used to be my burnout fetish). The transaxles that were in the car for the pictures all had limited slip diffs. I've never broken the case though. Actually, I've had quite a few problems, but even on transaxles that I didn't burnout, nor race on. (Let's see: I've got a sheared off differential bolt on a factory box that hadn't been apart before, a shattered 3rd gear on a rebuilt box, a broken snychro for 5thgear, a broken shifter fork in another transaxle, etc. This is the only car I've EVER had transaxle problems with, which leads me to believe that the design is not that great, however I have abused them hard).

Here are some pics:

Ahmet

Quick Reply: Ahmet at 1.2 gees