Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup Holder and Other Non-Performance Mod's

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 03:28 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hah! speaking of skunks, I remember I walked in to a pharmacy once and noted it smelled REALLY nasty outside. I get in and there is this guy (who stank like the **** outside ) asking for some sort of balm to apply to his dog who was sprayed by a skunk. I guess it was his dog that stank the exterior up. I also chased down a coyote before with an umbrella and it ran into a skunk. Needless to say we both bolted.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:41 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
I have deer whistles on my 944. Don't really know how they work, never 'tested' them in any scientific way... However twice now (once about 3 years ago, again last week) I saw deer on the side of the road, that ran away from my car as I was driving on a country road. I'll keep mine on, haven't hit an animal in 70k of mostly spirited driving on backroads in the 944.
I'll second the headlight upgrade, was probably the best thing I've done to my car, improves night vision very significantly (specially with correct wiring thanks to IceShark).

No comment about cup holders, the Blaupunk Honolulu is a great head unit. I have an AIWA mp3 player right now, thinking about getting the Blaupunkt mp3 player for my turbo, comments?
Ahmet
Old 01-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Totally off topic (although I like the cupholder).... if you or your dog get sprayed by a skunk, head to the grocery store and get several jugs of tomoato juice.

My dog was sprayed about 4 years ago and after a 5 gallon soaking in the bath tub, she barely smelled. Can't say the same for my house, but after a week, it was like normal.

On the deer topic, I have hit 3 while in New Jersey. With the increasing number of homes, the deer have no where to go, and there is a mess of them. I hit my first in a fire truck. It was like hitting a bag of flower. 2nd one was in my '93 Talon TSI AWD. The deer ran into me more than anything, but took out my pass fender. 3rd was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I got the neck of a fawn with the wheel. I would imagine that a straight on blow with the 951 could be bad, and you would soon have an additional passenger.

I hate killing animals. I am not a tree hugger, but it still hurts.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:28 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To see a pic, click on the URL given in my initial post. Then click on the "Models Available" link, then click on one of the links under "Porsche." The links for the specific models show the cupholders in place (although I don't think the 968 link is actually showing a 968).
The 944 and 968 show the same picture, there should be a clock in the 968. Nice looking piece though.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:44 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My sister in law had a squirrel make a nest inside her engine compartment once (she not knowing). When she went to start the vehicle, it made a big mess. Poor thing.

Animals and cars: not compatible.

Thaddeus
Old 01-06-2002, 03:52 AM
stupenal
Instructor

Since this thread is slightly drifting into roadkill, a skunk once managed to crawl underneath our classroom and die, releasing his "load" So, for about a 3 week period, the classroom was not a fun place to be. but then again, its really never a fun place to be
Old 01-06-2002, 07:48 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Have you guys seen that dude (I think he was on ripleys or Max Ex) who collects roadkill and supposedly makes gourmet meals out of it? Or did he have a petting zoo with hungry lions? I dont remember, either way, it is on topic with this off topic direction the post has taken.......
Old 01-06-2002, 02:16 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a Wolf-Husky that got sprayed, the tomato juice trick DIDN'T work, time does (outside). The coffee holder looks so simple to make that I am sure any one could make one for a few bucks (if that much) 44.95 for that thing is insane .
Old 01-06-2002, 02:19 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the subject of deer whistles: The only deer I ever hit in the 944 (I've also been hit BY one while travelling on motorcycle) crossed from the other side of the road, across my path, THE EVENING THAT I PUT THE WHISTLES ON THE CAR. Guess what I was doing when the cop was writing up the accident report? That's right, cussing and ripping the !@#$ whistles off of the car.

BTW, the deer smashed the windsheild with his head(directly in front of my head), but the windsheild held and deflected the deer down the side of the car, where it destroyed the mirror, door handle, and customised a lot of sheetmetal on the rear fender.

Less than a year later, a city crew dropped a cable through my hatch glass... and yes, I'm driving a different car now...
Old 01-06-2002, 02:51 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, those deer whistles have the true believers and those that view them like the gizmos you supposedly put on your air intake to get an 8 mpg truck suddenly get 100 mpg. -g- I'm in the gizmo camp.

As far as skunks and dogs and tomatoes, I unfortunately know a bit about this. And porcupines. Don't ever take the dog in the house after a skunk affair. This is an outside job. Tomato paste works best as it will stick on the fur a bit better and do its job. But we are only talking matters of degree here: nothing is going to make the dog skunk odor free overnight. Chain the dog outside which will do a nice job of reinforcing the lesson to be careful about skunks. Never had a dog that got sprayed twice.
Old 01-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

I figure the materials for the cupholder could be purchased for about $5. However, I also figure it would take at least an hour and a half to run to the store for materials and take my time to do a decent job of making the thing. A conservative estimate of the value of my time is $25/hour (I get paid a bit more than that, plus benefits). That's a total of $42.50 for parts and time, so maybe the $44.95 + shipping isn't so bad!
Old 01-06-2002, 04:37 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Ok, deer whistle bad idea... upgraded lights, good idea!

'86 951 aka bambi killer
-Steve
Old 01-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Renntag
Pro

from cup holders to deer whistles...LOL

I had never hit a deer until I had three incidents in just over one year.
*#1A deer smacked the left 1/4 as I was driving someone elses pathfinder ( 45mph ).
*#2, I come over a hill a bunch of deer ran out in front of me, I hit the brakes to slow down a bit, miss them and then WHAM! another pops out. Hood, grille, radiator, headlights. Fortunately just my jetta. cheap fix and the old dog is back on the road.
*#3 rainy night in october, mountain road, 55 MPH, in my GTI, going to pick a date up. Suddenly a deer's head is slamming my windshield. Apparently it jumped the fence on the side of the road and landed its chest in my front right fender, It's head smashed my windshield actually dislocating it from the lower edge. That scared the crap right out of me (figuratively). Cost me: The date I worked hard to get with a chick at school! windshield, door, fender, mirror, wipers and arms...what a PIA!

I have been so paranoid about hitting a deer with either of my Porsches, I think I have telepathically kept them away.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:12 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No offense to anyone buying one but it seems almost every time some company comes out with something thats made (special) for a Porsche that the price is so jacked it's insane, how much R&D went into something like this.....not much, the price of Porsche ownership , if that thing was for a Honda it would be 6.99 probably.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:23 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Has anyone smacked a deer and seen it walk off? I remember this drunk bum crossed the street from the sidewalk across from me. Some lady was zippin along in her neon (or some car like that) and didnt see him. She hit the brakes a bit too late and smoked him so bad that he bounced straight up in the air about the height of a telephone pole (about a storey and a half??) and landed smack on her hood. The guy then got up and said he was ok and just walked off. Everyone who saw it was like "wtf???" some guy even stoped the bum and tried to persuade him to sue (must have been a lawyer, cause he didnt say get yer *** to the hospital right now!). I wonder waht happened to the guy. I bet he had some pretty bad internal damage .

Quick Reply: Cup Holder and Other Non-Performance Mod's