Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling + Hesitation because of the cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bump
Old 01-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, I'm back. I was about to post this yesterday, but my girlfriend called and said it was time to go so I bumped the topic instead.

Anyway, I don't understand the point of the link above. I get that decreasing intake air temperatures increases performance, but the point I am not making myself clear on is that as gasoline temperature lowers it will not atomize as well. Since gasoline is only explosive when it is atomized or vaporized you wind of with a less efficient burn. As a result, when your fuel is very cold and does not atomize as well, all of the fuel in the cylinder does not "explode". Therefore your mileage may not be as good and performance can fall of.

It is kind of like what happens when your injectors get dirty. The jets get a little clogged and not only limit fuel flow but reduce the effectiveness of the spray pattern. Instead of spraying in a mist, it squirts in a sputtering stream. Less effective pattern, less performance.

Am I making any since? I know this whole thing went way OT. I am repeating myself too. I think I need an aspirin.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:33 PM
Longtime76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds right to me Manning, I am not sure what the issue is...
Old 01-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Alex, I knew you got what I talking about.

Anyway, back to the original topic, did Skrewl ever get his sorted?
Old 01-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 189 Posts
I tried .emilysgranny's trick for diagnosing the problem, and it seems it may be the injectors. After turning the key to on and leaving it, the car starts more quickly (not right away, but noticeably faster). Fortunately, the weather has warmed considerably so cold starts aren't a problem at the moment. I got some more Techron, but I'm waiting for my tank to get low, per the directions on the bottle. I don't know, maybe they're too far gone for Techron to help, but it's worth a shot. Also, since my idle generally stays at about 1100, even after it's warm, I guess I'll look into the idle control motor. Aw, what the heck, I might as well check out the fuel regulator too. Thanks everyone for the tips.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:33 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swerl; before you assume it to be the injectors , please put my mind at ease and check the gas lines tank to fuel rail for a leak and the rail at the brackets.Good luck and post what you find. thx EG

Quick Reply: Stalling + Hesitation because of the cold