Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't we rebuild our own water pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Why don't we rebuild our own water pumps?

Between my friends' cars and my own, I've installed all kinds of water pump, including Porsche, Laso, and some rebuilt by various vendors.

The Lasos have metal impellers. The 2.7/3.0 version has the larger impeller that it needs, but the casting says 2.5, so they have one casting for both kinds of pump. I've heard good and bad things about Laso. The most I have put on a Laso pump is about 40k (still going, thankfully). But my friend's Laso pump failed at 75k which is interesting. One would hope for 90-100k so it can last for about 2 timing belts...

The Porsche one has a plastic impeller. I don't think I've heard a complaint about the Porsche replacement pumps. Maybe the people who can afford them tend to only drive them occasionally and they don't put on enough miles to kill one?? If these things really do last over 100k or 110k miles consistently, I'd say it's worth it (compared to a Laso) because of the cost and hassle of when the Laso fails and you need to tow your car home - you can just replace it at 90-100k with your every-other belt change.

Buying a rebuilt one is a crap-shoot. It can be an OE casting, OEM casting, or who knows what else. It can have high or low quality internal parts (bearing, seal, machine work).

Clearly, if we could all afford Porsche pumps, that's what we'd buy. I buy Laso because I can't trust what I get in a rebuilt pump, unless I buy one from Porsche which is as expensive as a new Laso one.

I wanted to start a discussion about rebuilding a water pump. Why not? Other car clubs are doing it - I just read a couple of threads on Ferrari chat. And we rebuild our own power steering racks and pumps. If I could rebuilt the water pump myself, with the best bearing and seal possible, I'd trust that pump. What do you guys think?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do they have presses at home? i would think that would be the critical factor, getting a good, clean press on the bearing cartridge.

I've got a laso on my car and it'll last 2 belts hopefully (im on the 30kish belt change deal, cheaper than a head).
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

because Vertex Auto sells rebuilds for $169 ???

btw, with the faux Porsche quality oem pumps now officially being so ****ty,

and the Gates belts kicking ***, i would just add a fresh pump at belt time.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Because for $95 via zims its not worth screwing with my press...
Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't trust a $95 rebuilt pump for one whole belt interval, let alone two. I'm sure many of them last for at least one belt interval, but I've read a few stories of rebuilt pumps failing quickly and even if it's rare, it worries me.

Sure, a press is necessary. I know it's not something everyone has, but many of us do, or have access to one.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I say do it and post up a parts list and write-up. I would do it if it a diy rebuild involved superior components and was proven to last. Press isn't an issue, there must be a machine shop within 10m of most people, doubt they would charge more than $50 to press in a bearing carrier.

If a diy rebuild with superior parts & labor came to $100 and was a proven solution, why not?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:59 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a great idea, but not everyone is capable of rebuilding a water pump. I know many mechanics that can not perform this repair, let alone your average DIYer.

You would have to be a pretty talented DIYer to rebuild a water pump.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Its a great idea, but not everyone is capable of rebuilding a water pump. I know many mechanics that can not perform this repair, let alone your average DIYer.

You would have to be a pretty talented DIYer to rebuild a water pump.

I would only rebuild a pump that is extremely expensive, or unavailable.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Aussie944S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two old pumps sitting around one Porsche one laso, might give this a crack cause I've been thinking the same thing.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Arash, the culprit to premature pump failure is having the timing belt tensioned just a little too tight . Just 40 lbs on a new belt that's it . Assuming there was no boogers on either of the mating surfaces, a new or rebuilt pump with proper tension should last at least to 75k with no problem. Remember that belts stretch overtime and can easily be over tightened when re checking t belt tension. The only problems I've seen with the cheap rebuilt pumps are that the impeller was not pressed in all the way on the shaft, which would rub on the block. I've had 2 pumps be defective and sent them back for replacements with no problems since.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:30 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Interesting thread idea... Sorry my skills dont allow me to consider my own rebuild.
My "new" Laso has lasted over 140k so far and is on its 4th timing belt.
For me, the $335 for a new Laso seems way worth the price per mile.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:25 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's kind of like asking: Why dont we make our own furniture? Or butcher our own meat? It can be done, but theres a reason we dont, and that is cost, and time.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 AM
944meister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I don't trust a $95 rebuilt pump for one whole belt interval, let alone two. I'm sure many of them last for at least one belt interval, but I've read a few stories of rebuilt pumps failing quickly and even if it's rare, it worries me.

Sure, a press is necessary. I know it's not something everyone has, but many of us do, or have access to one.
Zims rebuilt pump are very good quality, do a search on this forum! They just happen to be low priced and they are also very particular about the condition of the pumps that they will accept. I would choose Zims over oem any day, but thats me. Belt tension is also very important.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:41 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Kev, my friend's Laso pump which failed after 75k miles was on a 968 with the hydraulic belt tensioner. It's impossible for the timing belt to be too tight on a 968, right?. I may try a rebuilt pump next time just to see what happens.

140k out of a Laso is fantastic, and if I could be assured that I'd get that too, I would totally buy a Laso.

I have a few old water pumps in the garage (I don't know why I saved them, but now I'm glad) so this summer I'll take one apart and measure things, and start searching for high quality replacement parts. At the very least, it'll be educational.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

sounds like well invested time ...
look forward to your findings ..
Thx!

Quick Reply: Why don't we rebuild our own water pumps?