Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Reseal - Specialty Tools Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Engine Reseal - Specialty Tools Needed

So Ive been experiencing some vibration through my pedals and thought they were caused by bad engine mounts. But after having the engine idle, I noticed through the hole in the belt cover that the balance shaft belt was not moving. So just to be cautious, I figure I replace the timing belt as well. According to previous owner, engine has been rebuilt in the last 30k, I have since put about 10k in a year. I will be pulling the motor to reseal the outside of the engine in hopes to keep her on the road and not the dreaded " while you were in there" pit, been there and still there with my turbo track car. Im gonna do all the oil seals, oil pan gasket and pickup tube seal, dip-stick o-ring, oil cooler seal, maybe cluth ( might take from my turbo track motor, since its brand new ) balance shaft o-rings, collars and covers, oil pump drive sleeve and seal, waterpump. Going to be doing a manual steering swap out as well on my 86 and a K27/8 install ( both from turbo track car ). My question to the list is: what specialty tools will I need other than the rear main seal driver, oil cooler housing alignmentt tool, balance shaft seal driver. I currently have arnworx timing belt tools and clutch alignment tool. Can I use the balance shaft seal driver to install the crank seal and camshaft seal?Id rather buy and use the proper tools, instead of risking having a leak and doing it a 2nd time.thanks in advance.Aloha -Wayne
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

what about your rod bearings? If your pulling off the pan, it is imperative to change them. you dont really need any special tools, just a balance shaft sprocket tool. the oprv alignment tool is only important on 87 and later models due to them not having an alignment sleeve. though, I have even built later engines without the alignment tool. I install all seals by hand, and a light tap with a hammer and small extension, accept for the rear main seal, I use an old rear main seal to get it started, then follow the same method. you can use the small crank gear itself to install the fron main seal . Replacing all the seals is not hard at all on these engines if you know what you are doing and how deep to drive the seals. dont forget about the black orings behing the end caps of the balance shaft. I would also change all sleaves. one for the cam , 2 for the balance shaft , and the drive sleeve you already mentioned. you will need a new cam bolt as well. I would be happy to assist you but I am in San Diego. If you are considering removing the oil pump itsleft to rebuild and reseal it, now would be the time.
Good Luck!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:14 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I replaced all the rubber seals on my '87 NA and used appropriately sized PVC caps from Home Depot. Using a mallet and being careful to tap them in "square" with a little lube on each rubber surface and never had an issue. Save your money.

Quick Reply: Engine Reseal - Specialty Tools Needed