Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Dash Kit Group Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 10:47 AM
Todd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Aluminum Dash Kit Group Purchase

I have been speaking with several companies about an aluminum dash kit for the 944/968. I have received many samples and the best I have found is product from prestige parts http://www.prestigeparts.co.uk/944.htm in the UK that does a full aluminum laquer finish to actual dash components (these are not stick-on pieces). This company is a suplier of alumium dash parts for many porsche dealers in Europe. They use the same finishing process as the OEM boxster S alumium interior parts. The company has assured me that the finish is identical to that of the Boxster S.

All the peices from the door handels, mirror controls, door buttons and all dash pieces will be about $400 but as a group purchase I may be able to lower the price for all who are interested. Price will depend on numbers.

I would like to make the purchase by the end of September so anyone interested must be willing to commit a $25 deposit by September 10th.

Check out the web site let me know which parts you are interested in (maybe we'll do a group purchase of the 7 dash pieces only (~$200) if that's what most people are interested in.

Remember these are new dash pieces so you can keep or sell your original ones!

Let me know,
Todd Sullivan
1991 944 S2 Cab
Triple black
Old 08-17-2001, 11:23 AM
my944
Pro

Thumbs up

I am VERY IN!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 12:46 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be in....

Do we know what the 7 pieces are? I only recall 4 going across the dash.

Scott
'86 951
Old 08-17-2001, 02:28 PM
daly944
Instructor

Hey Todd, I am definenlty gonna get pretty much everything on that site, as you and I had previously discussed. I talked to the guy at prestige parts, and this is what he had to say:
he will be out of the office for a week or so
all parts are made to order, so expect a 2 week or so delay after ordering to the shipping
and this stuff is all easily installed, if you know how to use a screwdriver, you can do this.

For all of you people out there who are kind of skeptical, listen to this: This kit is far superior to any stick on kit for many reasons, first of all it will look better, no bulging out clear plastic covered paper. Second of all you don't have to worry about screwing up the installation. Its a whole lot less messy, and is completely reversable so if you plan to sell your car you can return it to stock.

That place has some of the best deals on aluminum pedals that I have seen, and if you go to www.imagineauto.com, you will see that they have the exact same stuff as www.prestigeparts.co.uk, only like twice as expensive.
Brendan
Old 08-17-2001, 03:51 PM
944-SS-350
4th Gear

Question

I am also interested in just about all the parts, but...

"full aluminum laquer finish"

So the dash parts are painted? They aren't actualy aluminum?

The aluminum ball for the shifter, how does that work on my square style 944 shifter?

Thanks,

Herb Mooney
90 944 S2 Coupe
Old 08-17-2001, 04:15 PM
seanpkend
Intermediate

Todd, put me down for the 7 piece dash kit, the aluminum **** insert and the aluminum door handles! Who do I send the $25 dollers too!
P.S.- You do know that this company is British and that their cars are right-hand-drive don't you? The prices are in pounds, not dollors. Just being safe! The company will make parts for left-hand-drive cars am I correct?
Another thing is that all of the dash kits I have seen were made for 89-95 944/968. I have an 88 and I want to be sure that this kit will fit my car.
Thanks
Sean
Old 08-17-2001, 04:21 PM
seanpkend
Intermediate

Oh yeah! I also want the center console kit! I just wnt back and read the fine print! Thanks again!
Sean
Old 08-17-2001, 07:55 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

I am very in as well! Cept I have a '84, so I'd be looking at picking up the 6 dial faces w/bezel rings, backrest adjuster cover & end caps, and stainless steel sill trims. I would have a couple questions before the order, but I'm definatly interested.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:15 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 189 Posts
I might be interested, but I would like to see the kit (or any aluminum kit, for that matter) in someone else's car. There's something about the 944's interior, namely the strip across the middle, that I'm not sure would look good in aluminum trim, because it's flat and straight.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:33 AM
Todd
Advanced

Sorry I was out for the weekend but great to see the positive responses.

Here are some answers and I will be getting more soon.
Scott, there are four pieces going across the dash. One piece on either door and a center consol unit I believe(ash tray not included). I will check on this.

Herb “Full aluminum laquer finish” is not actual aluminum but it looks like it. Although I have not seen it, if it is good enough to offer as an expensive interior option to the current Boxster S, it is good enough for me. I did order a shift **** and boot from them and the laquer finish is supposed to be the same. I have not received it yet but I should get it next week some time and I will let you all know what I think.

Sean, Let’s hold off on the deposit until I get a full commitment from Prestige what parts will be discounted based on a volume order. I think you should order the **** insert and possibly the door handles (although there seems to be bulk interest in the door handles as well). Let me talk with Prestige this week (if they are in) and get all the details and prices.

Jon, let me have all your questions so I can get them answered and I then post them to the list.

Skwerl, there is a picture of a wood dash kit http://www.autohank.de/mb/gal0010.htm it show the full dash pretty well to give you a sense of the look . Although there are a lot of colors going on here (two tone dash and different mats) the look is very sleek and will only improve with aluminum against all black or navy.

J-RAD Imagine auto is another spot to consider but there prices are so much higher to begin with. Prestige is a genuine supplier to European Porsche dealers of these parts because of there precision and quality. They have been very cooperative and are excited to work with us. In all fairness it is worth a call to Imagine Auto to see if they can compete.

Thanks for the backup on this Brendan

Everyone else, I will keep you updated and thanks for the interest.

Todd Sullivan
1991 S2 Cab
Triple black
Old 08-21-2001, 03:02 AM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

In the picture they have on their website:

The dials are in an all-silver housing. Do they sell a housing like that? Or is it just painted? Do they sell that steeing wheel?
Old 08-21-2001, 09:45 AM
Todd
Advanced

I don't know anything about these dials or wheel...sorry

Todd
Old 01-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did anyone actually order the aluminum dash kit? I am interested in doing so, but would also like to see more photos. I'd rather pay a little more for high quality stuff. After all, it's a Porsche!
Old 01-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I had mentioned many many months ago about going to do an aluminum kit on mine. I had asked all the companies listed above for a small sample of the product so I could test the color and quality. Needless to say that nothing has arrived to date.

Perhaps they can provide a small sample and we could mail it around to all intrested parties. I hate to drop $400 into a part that is painted silver, brushed, then dipped in polyurethane. I can do that myself and get a pretty good result.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Andrew
Instructor

Seems really ricey to me! thanks for the website i needed a good laugh!

-Andrew

Got kraut?

Quick Reply: Aluminum Dash Kit Group Purchase