Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much $ to get 350 hp? How much for 400?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 02:05 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Tim, you say that the 951 engine is a "torque monster" and yes, comparing the two engines, the peak
torque(and HP for tht matter)on the 951 is higher. But more closely examining the dynos shows that the LT1
puts out 300+ torque from 1500RPM! That's a torque monster!

Cubic inch for cubic inch the 951 is the torque monster! Granted it does not have the torque down low like the V-8, it does have alot of torque for a 4 banger.If somehow you could increase displacement from 151 cubic inches to 350 cubic inches my car would make over 750 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels! Even a Vette motor with a bolt-on supercharger would not make this much torque.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 06-27-2001, 03:19 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, since I started this thread I figured I should chime in again. It started out as asking about 951 hp mods and morphed into the Renegade fans/foes.

I've owned a Chevy small-block. And while it was fine for what it was doing (moving a heavy slug of a Trans Am) I don't want another one. A Chevy may or may not be cheaper to run, but I can't believe anybody buys a 951 expecting economy of operation. High maintenance and repair costs go with the territory. BTW people that say Chevy cop cars and cabs never need repairs have never owned one. My buddy bought an ex-cop car and has repaired it plenty. His research found that his repairs are common ones. They are engineered and built to be reasonably priced family transportation. Don't kid yourself that they are the equal of a $40,000+ high-performance car.

Another point: Chevy dominates NASCAR because the rules favor it, pure and simple. When the rules favored Fords, Bill Eliott and the T-birds dominated, and Chryslers the decade before that.

Anyway, I got the answers I was after. Thank you to the folks that contributed.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:48 PM
David Gunther
Intermediate

well I see that the 951 engine is a race engine, though the comparisons you use are a modified 951 to a stock LT1 engine. well here is a person who claims his 10 sec naturally aspirated 500 horse vette is streetable. http://phil.tobin.net/Hoover/top.html
Old 06-28-2001, 03:46 AM
TurboTim
Banned

My car was actually a street vehicle that had never been on a race track.It had the full interior, big stereo system, power steering and A/C too.It was driven daily for quite a few years.Now it is being turned into a street/track car.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 02-10-2002, 11:27 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw this old topic and I must say a lot of people say BS here.
A Chevy engine is only 50 lbs nevier than a 951 Engine???
well the best race engine this year is only a 6 cylinder Porsche and weights 80 lbs more tha the 951 engine. tell me how an ols big 8 cylinder can weight the same or less than a 6 cylinder full arc eengine??
aslo I do not care what teh number says. I raced a lot ov corvettes during the 12 years I have my 951 and NEVER passed me one. even when I had the car full stock the corvettes were MUCH slower in common twisty roads and even at speeds from 60 mph to 160 mph tehy were slower too. tehy could stay up only 4-5 sec. at higher speeds the 951 was M U C H faster and try to get a cornet at 150 with a corvette at teh german highway.
It seems that you believe in nunburs taht you see on the Web the rear world is different.

The full race corvette raced against teh 968 Turbo RS back in 94 had no chance. the same for teh street car against street cars. I do not know about teh enw Vette but you can not compare a 2002 car against a 1985 car. and I bet with some mods teh 951 can be faster even than the new 2002 Vette.

after all it is the how the car drives and not the numbers on teh papers. all Vettes sucks on teh Geramn Autobahn. the brake ssucks after 4-5 times braking from over 200 km/h and teh engine last no longer than 5 min full speed. maybe other cars are ok but every car I raced until today had teh same problems. sure you can modify the vette etc etc but i doubt that if you spent $10000 on a 951 and also spent $10000 to put a vette engine in a 951 you will end u with a faster car.
Maybe you will have more HP but you will not have a faster car. been then done that and when you are ready come here and I will saw you what real world performance is. you will be surprised.
if you wanrt a chevy buy a chevy. If you can not afford a porsche o not buy one. Nobody buy a Porsche to save money. There are other reasons to buy such a car.

or buy a 928 V8 and turbocharge it if you wnat to have bog Torque and still own a Porsche. If you are looking at the money side eirther drive a bicycle or look for a cheap car. Porsche and especially Turbos are not cheap. You should know that before you buy this car.

Konstantin
Old 02-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and when turbo do appear cheap........(something goes wrong in the shipping)

Quick Reply: How much $ to get 350 hp? How much for 400?