Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator not energizing until engine revved.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Yarf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alternator warning should be illuminated with the key in the on position and extinguish when the engine is running if the alternator is working. On the early 944 the alternator warning lamp is connected to the alternator field excitation circuit. If the lamp burns out the the. Alternator will not function correctly.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Yep, as I said above that bulb needs 12v on BOTH sides to go off. An LED in there, which is basically a diode that allows voltage to flow one way only, would really mess things up.

For those not to familiar with electronics, you need a voltage difference for a light to come on. Normally we are used to dealing with a difference of 12v on one side of a bulb and ground (0v) on the other. But on charging circuits it is common to have the battery 12v on one side of a warning bulb and the alternator 12v on the other. That is why when the engine (alternator output) is not running the light comes on and goes off as soon as you start the engine. Hope that makes some sense to someone.
actually you do need i diode with your bulb, or use an led. , thast why an led is often used for this. if the alternator voltage is above battery voltage you dont want to forward bias the diode, but if the alternator voltage dropes below battery voltage you want to forward bias the led getting it to light and indicating alternator failure.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
actually you do need i diode with your bulb, or use an led. , thast why an led is often used for this. if the alternator voltage is above battery voltage you dont want to forward bias the diode, but if the alternator voltage dropes below battery voltage you want to forward bias the led getting it to light and indicating alternator failure.
Don't know where you are getting this from?? There is no diode in that circuit. With the engine not started you have 12v battery on one side and 0v on the other and the light comes on. With the engine started and the alternator working, you have 14v+ battery on one side and 14v+ alternator on the other, light goes off. (Battery v = alternator v if everything is working correctly). If the alternator fails while running you have 12v on one side and 0v on the other, light comes on. No diode.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok guys. Here's the latest: There's a light at the bottom of the voltage meter scale that should (I assume) come on with all the other warning lights when the ignition switch is in Position 2, yet doesn't come on. I took the gauge cluster apart and verified the contacts to around the bulb and verified that the bulb is good. My issue still persists with the alternator not putting out until I "blip" the throttle. I haven't had an opportunity to pull the back off the alternator and check the exciter wire and replace the voltage regulator (WYIT) yet. Too many other "honey do's).
Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a little thin blue wire that is supposed to come off the alternator (IIRC, it is connected to the voltage regulator on the alternator) and go into your fusebox and eventually the dash cluster. Check to ensure that you have connectivity all the way on that little blue wire.

I rewired my racecar and had the same issues as you - the reason was I had the blue wire hooked up wrong.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
There's a little thin blue wire that is supposed to come off the alternator (IIRC, it is connected to the voltage regulator on the alternator) and go into your fusebox and eventually the dash cluster. Check to ensure that you have connectivity all the way on that little blue wire.

I rewired my racecar and had the same issues as you - the reason was I had the blue wire hooked up wrong.
I wonder what it's connected to in the fuse box and the gauge cluster? I tried to see a wiring diagram that shows it but the Haynes manual doesn't really spell it out. I wonder if this is why my batt light doesn't come on in ign position 2.

Quick Reply: Alternator not energizing until engine revved.