Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hind sight really is 20/20

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002 | 01:08 AM
GTCoy
Track Day

Post hind sight really is 20/20

ok, i know im gonna get a bit of heat off this but guys i need some help diagnosing my ordeal, and anyway the story is kinda funny.... in a sick broken car sort of way.

Im standing outside of my house hanging out with a friend when one of my teachers (only a few years older than me, and...yes, hot as well) pulls up in her v-tec prelude and says something to me. As our conversation concludes, i tell her to peel out, and when she laughs i mock her by saying "you wont do it!!" so she revs it a little and trys to peel out, and almost stalls her car. She stops again and trys, achieving a mere chrip. she speeds off and nothing more is said. So friday onthe way home from school, i see her behind me and decide to show her how its done.... Im typically kind to my car, but i couldnt pass up an oppurtunity like that. I peel out at this light and after my tires start spinning my car starts making some odd noises..... but i pull away anyway, and realize that ive lost a whole lot of power, so up the road about 30 yards i pull into a gas station where i mess around in the parking lot trying to figure out whats going on. put it in reverse let off the clutch start rolling backwards, push in the clutch while rolling back and my car stops, very harshly like im slamming on the brakes, but just from pushing in the clutch in all the way. so i figure i would be best driving about two miles the rest of the way home, and check it out there, i roll out of the gas station, and procede down the road where while in 3rd it starts making a grinding noise, and slips out of gear. i pull it over and turn it off. after sitting in it for a while i decide to give it another try and am able to drive it home. On the way home it was still under powered but not doing anything else weird.(dosent do the weird thing in reverse anymore).

So, what do you all think about my situation.... i wouldnt mind some feed back about what might be messed up in my car, and if you would have done the same in my situation......For any unbelievers, hindsight really is 20/20.

Ps...in a 1982 924
Old 02-04-2002 | 01:22 AM
Peter L
Instructor

sounds to me like your clutch went. I had very similar symptoms in my 83 944 (which I think is the same set up) and it ended up being the rubber center section had exploded. Happened just about the same way as you explained, I spun my tires (stupid, but of course I hadda show off, for some punk no less) and then things weren't right anymore. Very hard to shift, popping out of gear. only thing that sounds wierd is the grinding in third thing. Are you getting any wierd vibrations above 3000 rev's? Could you provide some more info like mileage, last clutch replacement.
Good luck
Old 02-05-2002 | 03:08 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds expensive. Don't look good.
Old 02-05-2002 | 03:45 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Yep, sounds similar to when my clutch blew. I'd guess thats it.
Old 02-05-2002 | 10:17 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Nearly the same thing happened to me this last fall, teaching my kid to drive. he kept taking off to slow (expected). still in second would not get on it enough to keep up with traffic. I advised him to get going. So he gunned it... viola .. no engine conection.. totally blew up the hub in one fell swoop... Sounds like your rubber hub blew up and pieces got stuck in between the plate and clutch. THus the wierd driving things... Chick you want to impress cost, $1600. the fact you did not get laid... err not priceless...
Old 02-05-2002 | 02:37 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Don't feel too bad. The rubber clutches usually only last ~50,000 miles anyway.
Old 02-05-2002 | 06:29 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Gee, thanks a lot Tabor. I was feeling good that my clutch is still fine in my car then you chime in and add that they only last 50K miles. My car just turned over 70K!!

Crap, what's this going to cost? Let me guess...does it start with a "1"?
Old 02-05-2002 | 07:19 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

A spring-centered Sachs clutch is ~700 as best as I can remember.

If *I* were doing the clutch replacement myself, I'd budget, oh... 35 hours. But I'm not a mechanic, just a jarhead who likes to wrench on stuff. Still, you're looking at a minimum of like 10 hours worth of labor. That's not cheap.

Quick Reply: hind sight really is 20/20