Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud whistling noise without the clutch engaged?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 11:06 AM
Todd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry loud whistling noise without the clutch engaged?

I just had my belts and tensioner chain changed at 60K and I am due for the retension now. I was driving home and I notice a loud whistling noise when I was not on the clutch. The noise was apparent with or with out the car in gear. The noise faded in an out as I turned the wheel but eventually stayed constant unless I through in the clutch. When I stopped the car I could smell at the front of the car that smell of the dentist drilling in your teeth (ouch!) not quite the rubber smell but nasty.
Any thoughts??
Should I pop the hood and get a closer look, as I am not a mechanic but could look for anything you all suggest.

Best,
Todd 1991 S2 Convertible.
Old 06-30-2001, 10:44 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess is one of the bearings in one of your timing/balance belt pulleys has gone badm, and what you're smelling is the belts burning from the heat/friction of the pulley.

DO NOT drive the car until you get a handle on exactly what the problem is. Sudden "loud whistling" noises that crop up all of a sudden are usually REAL bad.

Greg

Quick Reply: loud whistling noise without the clutch engaged?