Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bearing?CV?Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 05:15 PM
JasonN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post bearing?CV?Brakes?

Was driving in my '94 968 and started to hear a loud screach/gring sound when going slow that went quiter and disapeared once moving fast. The brakes didnt seem to affect it as it still made the sound when I lifted off the brakes. When I got to my destination just a minute away from where it started I checked the wheels and played a bit with the plate around the rotor. Nothing seemed to be out of wack. Now it is totally fine. The sound was not related to turning so I'm thinking its not the CV joint. Is it possible that the brake sheild or something just warped a bit (it was very very hot here today) and playing with it moved it away from the rotor?. Would a bearing sound be periodical??? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2001, 02:10 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Hi Jason...Was the noise coming from the front or the back...Did you jack the car up (take the weight of the wheels) to see if there was any movement...Did you notice the brake shield touching the rotor when you checked it...
Old 06-29-2001, 02:25 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I had a mystery clicking coming from my back right but I know it wasn't CV because I just got those repacked...

So I took the wheel off and it seemed like it was the bearings when I would move the rotor but closer inspection revealed that my inside brake pad was moving inside there about 5 mm just enough to click the side. Put some cloth tape on the top edge and fixed the prob.

On a different but similar note, why would my pad be able to move inside there? My little clips rusted and broke but the front left still has the clip and I had to do the same thing to it. I know the pads are for the 944 because I ordered them from AUTOMOTION and it said 944 on the box.

Thanks,
Matt

Quick Reply: bearing?CV?Brakes?