Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stopping power

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 04:29 PM
psycho944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question stopping power

Sorry, I am new to the board and this has probably been covered before. What are some opinions on the best place to get a set of stainless brake lines? What about sloted (not drilled) rotors? any tricks in installing?

TIA
Old 06-26-2001, 04:38 PM
cale
Instructor

Man, if you really want to stop look into some ceramic rotors though I have a feeling that they are rather expensive.
Old 06-26-2001, 04:58 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my lines from zims, quick delivery and under $60 if I remember correctly.

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Dave ]
Old 06-26-2001, 05:37 PM
MadMax
Pro

Wink

Cale, don't be silly. Ceramic rotors are not even available for the 944 and if they are they would be astronomically expensive.

Psycho...great name...yeah right! Anyway, cross-drilled are not good unless the holes are 'cast' in the rotor during its making. Holes that are drilled afterward have an unchamfered edge that precipitates cracks and disc failure. Slotted rotors have a tendency to eat your brake pads. Make sure that any rotor you buy is made by either brembo, zimmerman, or ate. Zimm. and ATE are the OEM for most Porsche rotors.
Porsche cast the holes in the rotors during production. Zimmerman does this as well. As for pads, it depends on what you are after. Most people love Pagid Orange and Pagid Black. They are expensive but they are the best, from what I've heard. Mintex racing pads are supposed to be really good also. Good combination of stopping power and disc friendliness. NONE of the racing spec pads are going to be as kind to your new rotors as OEM pads, Mintex (OEM version) or Metal Masters. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:00 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

I got my cross-drilled rotors from Vertex for somewhere in the $85-90 a piece range. They're made by Sebro, and are the holes are cast-in, not really "drilled".

My stopping power at low speeds is comparable to how it was before the rotor replacement (my original rotors were badly worn below the min spec). My braking stability at HIGH speed (>80 MPH) is VASTLY improved. I used to get a lot of squeal and serious brake pad burn with my old rotors, and now it's silent and the friction is very predicable with less noticible pad burn.

I have no idea what brand of pads are on the car now -- they were virtually new when I bought the car used at 87K miles, and are still 85% pad life left. They're very metallic, with 1/8" grain and have BXX part numbers on the back. Any ideas what they might be? I'll probably go with Pagid orange or Hawk H.P.S. when these wear down at bit.

Greg
Old 06-29-2001, 02:19 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just ordered a set from Zims as well...They have them in stock and stated I should get them in 3-5 days...Pretty good price at $55.50.

Quick Reply: stopping power