Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RIP 84 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Wasseem Jundi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIP 84 944 NA

So 3 days after redoing the head gasket on my NA i got into a wreck because of some dumb lady who shouldn't be driving. I'm pretty sure the car is totaled, but I'm defiantly in the market for another one, hopefully a clean turbo if the price is right. Just need a little help with value and what I should do with it, insurance hasn't gotten back to me yet with a value but I'm sure they're going to try and lowball me. Here are some pics of the aftermath.

Name:  kntbSVY.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  663.0 KB
Name:  RsCiCoR.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  752.8 KB
Name:  MfRG4e9.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  720.4 KB
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hagerty Insurance has an online value guide if the car is declaired "totaled":
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch

My guess the offer will be below $3000 for a "Condition vehicle value 3" 1984 944.

Name:  1984 944 Insurance value.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  100.9 KB

A few members will buy the car from the insurance company if totaled for parts.

I hope you get a good price.

GL
J_AZ
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Sorry for your loss. Do your research and stick to your guns.

Good luck brother and keep the thread updated if you don't mind. Sooner or later many of us will be in your shoes.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Do the doors, hatch and sunroof still open and close properly?
If so, the car might be salvageable.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to see this, but glad your okay. Let us know what the insurance company comes up with.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks a lot like my car after I hit a wall. Had to have the frame pulled / front clip welded in...plus paint/fender work and all that. Ends up being pretty expensive. We found a good frame guy who did a really nice job pulling the frame straight and welding a spare clip in for $1275.

Pretty straight (pass side):

Not so straight:

After with new paint:

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default unfortunately

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

the car might be salvageable.

not this one.... not even close. and this despite knowing the miracles that you and others have done after minor wrecks.... apples and oranges. the frame is bent... and no matter what is done, a new hood will never (under any circumstances) be made to close properly. hits from this angle are fatals. i've seen a car where very minor damage occured from the same direction and nothing could be done to right it. just the slightest bend makes such a prospect nearly impossible. same situation here, only this is much worse... the new curves are exteme in the front but will almost surely extend, then trail off a ways past the front clip, tipping the scale... op. sorry for your loss. buy back the car from the insurance for a few bucks and strip everything that's not bent, take your time and get another 944.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry and GL
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Wasseem Jundi
Track Day

I was on a two lane road, the right lane merges to the left lane. Shortly after the merge there's a sharp left turn since that road I was on merges onto the service road for George Bush. I was in the right lane ahead by a car and started to begin my merge. The car in the left lane decided to floor it while i was halfway in her lane. I either had to brake too soon, lock my brakes and slide into oncoming traffic and get t-boned or downshift and try to take that turn. So I tried to take that turn and spun out, jumped a curb and slammed into a wall, did a 180 and back hit the wall. Engine seized on impact, leaking antifreeze and oil, front frame rails are surely bent. So I'm sure the insurance is going to say it's a total loss. And by law I'm at fault since she didn't hit me even though her stupid driving caused the accident. If I started to make the merge and i could still see her in my rear view mirror why the hell are you going to gun it especially when there's a sharp turn ahead? It's so much crap.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
not this one.... not even close.
How do you know that?

The car does not look so bad, you should get a body shop's opinion and then make your decision.
I've noticed you guys scrap cars too easly...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

first, not just because fixing the clip on a $2,500 dollar car isn't already insane....

but more, because behind the firewall, our tubs move/curve/stretch/compress more than we think.... and when they do, stuff stops opening and closing or the car (starting at the rear hatch) starts creeking and squeaking when you attempt to drive it.... consider also what the poster says (damage to the block??)... if even remotely true, that means the tub has been significantly affected all the way back to the rear of the car via the transaxle's rear mounts. think about what the torque tube does in a crash; for starters, it uses the tub to keep the engine from getting closer to (or in a really bad crash, from crushing) the driver (good)..... but what's the price at the other end ? the tubs are streched/bent/curved etc.... and forget about the open/close door test. this isn't Hyundai--it's an effing Porsche--and it's bent. it might only be a few millimeters of total defect, and the doors/rear hatch may still open and close, but the car's history is now all but ruined.

no offense, but this isn't eastern Europe. we've got thousands of clean tubs sitting around just waiting for running engines to swap over..... but the op has already mentioned that this crash seems to have caused the engine to seize.... on what already was a very low dollar car.... and it still, would cost thousands of dollars (think like, 8~9 thousand dollars PLUS here in Massachusetts) to even attempt a repair... and still have a likely outcome in the (it's still junk) category.

in the United States, Porsche's that have been in even minor wrecks, are discarded for parts just as much because there car's history is effectively ruined.... and (again) this thing wasn't worth much to begin with..... i purchased a 997 front bumper cover for pennies because the owner didn't want a bumper with even the slightest repair. far better just to put a new one up (the western world). and when marginal cars like these have been in wrecks, the final result is even more worthless. factor all the dollars/cents/risks, and you're way past the point where any attempt at a repair would make even the slightest bit of sense....

this post is made with no disrespect to the op; but, this car is well past totalled.... in lesser cases where you'd be tracking the car or keeping it for sentimental value, a case for fixing crashed up junk might be made..... but you'll always be better off picking up a clean tub and thus; giving a discarded 944 a nice home.

Last edited by odurandina; 03-04-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
not this one.... not even close. and this despite knowing the miracles that you and others have done after minor wrecks.... apples and oranges. the frame is bent... and no matter what is done, a new hood will never (under any circumstances) be made to close properly. hits from this angle are fatals. i've seen a car where very minor damage occured from the same direction and nothing could be done to right it. just the slightest bend makes such a prospect nearly impossible. same situation here, only this is much worse... the new curves are exteme in the front but will almost surely extend, then trail off a ways past the front clip, tipping the scale... op. sorry for your loss. buy back the car from the insurance for a few bucks and strip everything that's not bent, take your time and get another 944.
Mine looked worse than his and had crushed frame rails up to the shock towers...but the doors and hatch/sunroof still worked fine. Good clue that the rest of the tub is still OK.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

where i'm from i've never heard of anyone attempting such a repair on a such a marginal value car. but even in your case, you did most of the work yourself. most of us will never be in a position to do that. but, also in your case, just one phone call to Lart would have prolly put you in a clean tub in minutes. Gene reports a lot of 968s that fall under the much more repairable category than even your car was showing. and nobody even bothers.
our cars are effing worthless.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Wasseem Jundi
Track Day

Yeah, I still haven't heard anything back from insurance but trust me, I wish it wasn't totaled but seeing it in pictures is different that seeing it in person. The shop that I took it to is Park Place Bodywerks... they repair Porsche's, MB, Jags, etc... the adviser looked at it immediately and said it seems to be totaled... my dad said the same thing. Even if insurance decided to fix the car I still have to find a shop that will know what they're doing. The adviser said "This car is like Chinese to us, give us a 996, 997, 991 and we'll know what to do with it but not this."

On another note, I got a ticket in the mail...? "Failure to maintain speed" $225. I've never heard of such a thing and there's no way I could be "speeding" through that turn, it's just totally illogical. Any advice?

Quick Reply: RIP 84 944 NA