Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wife, arms crossed, toe tapping... "we accept" she said

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Thatcher
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great story Kie, makes me miss Seattle.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM
BikePilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome story and find! I just bought a 968 as well, though in much less dramatic fashion.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the late post,,, always amazed at your stories, Kie. Nice going on this one. Any updates?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great story! Can't wait to see the progress!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Default thread resurrection with torch passing

Its been a busy year. I got going gangbusters with this project and then of course got derailed by other things with needs. A Bimota DB4, GPZ750 Turbo, RVF400, Kremer 930/935 thing, MR2 Turbo, and on and on and on.

My good friend Ductech aka Robert is taking the reins from here on out. He's a Ducati wrench by day and is about to become a 968 expert lol.

This 968 I got pretty much all there mechanically.

~New everything at the front of the engine. TB, WP, all seals, all idlers/bearings, all belts, TB tensioner, new plastic timing chain rubbing blocks, spark plugs, cap, rotor, thermostat, etc., etc.

~New cooling fan control relay and thermo switch.

~New cam position hall sensor.

~New DME relay.

~All new fluids.

~New power steering pump.

~New battery.

~New rotors, pads, sensors, steel lines, etc.

~New front wheel bearings and seals.

~New wiper blades.

~New antenna.

~2 new factory keys from the dealer

~Refinished FM-10's with polished lips and matte grey centers.

~Almost new Dunlop Direzza Star Specs (235 and 275) stolen from my 987/3.4 which now has Kinesis wheels and wider tires.

~New rubber welting for the rear bumper and side skirts.

~Still to be installed but included.... new front hood badge, rear 968 emblem, clear plastic strippy things behind the front wheels and a few other bits.

~~~~ Things still on the "honey-do" list for Ductech:

~Headlights do not raise.

~Power windows do not work.

~Heater flap door fix.

~Sunroof gears.

~Wash car. It has not been washed or waxed this decade and probably much longer than that. hah.

In short this turned out to be a solid car. It would be my daily but there are just too many irons in the fire for me. Ductech will be a worthy caretaker I'm sure!

Last edited by kiesan; 09-11-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Ductech
Track Day

Oh wow.. With an intro like that I will be spending some time to help document the rest of this cars life. I cant describe how excited I am right now!

And thank god... I was worried about having to continue Daily Driving the 914 Subie for too much longer.

A million thanks Kie, I promise that she will be well taken care of. No more tarp treatment
Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm happy for you. I moved from Gig Harbor to Florida for my job and got remarried to a lady who can't seem to realize that there's a whole other place (as Forest Gump said) out there. You have no idea what it 's like to own 2 Porsches and not have winding roads and scenery to look at. All the roads are straight and flat. The nearest thing to a mountain here is a 65 ft. tall land fill near Melbourne (one the east coast). Oh, well, my '87 944 is my therapy. It's my third and I can't seem to leave them alone.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 AM
jax
Advanced

Originally Posted by kiesan
Got into the valve cover last night. The cam chain rubbing block (at least the upper one) has zero to little wear. Just the faintest hint of a groove. At 140k, this must have been replaced at some point, yes?

I'm going to replace them (pads/chain) anyway since I'm such a freak.

I opened my 94' up with 170k and my pads looked barely worn. I was under the impression they are original if they are dark colored like that, and newer if they are lighter colored. When I was taking one of the pads off of its metal holder it shattered into many pieces. Age makes them very brittle I believe.
Congrats on the nice find!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

I haven't read the whole thread, but I have never seen any car, even a 944 that sat for 10 years and the brakes and clutch worked -however, taking this all as written, one of the very first things I would do is change the fluid in the brake/clutch system, immediately, it's hydroscopic.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
I haven't read the whole thread, but I have never seen any car, even a 944 that sat for 10 years and the brakes and clutch worked -however, taking this all as written, one of the very first things I would do is change the fluid in the brake/clutch system, immediately, it's hydroscopic.

Changed all the brake/clutch hydraulic fluid within a week of buying the car 6 months ago.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jax
I opened my 94' up with 170k and my pads looked barely worn. I was under the impression they are original if they are dark colored like that, and newer if they are lighter colored. When I was taking one of the pads off of its metal holder it shattered into many pieces. Age makes them very brittle I believe.
Congrats on the nice find!
The lower pad certainly had more wear than the top on this one. idk if they were original but they are new now. And yah the new ones were almost white in color from what I remember.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you got a great deal on a good car which only needed some loving.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Man 15 miles of stop and go traffic in 85 degree weather in a black car that can't roll the windows down...

There you go Ductech. Have at it! As we discussed there are a few other items for your wrenching pleasure in addition to the above.

~r/r rear wheel bearing howls at freeway speeds.

~Slight power steering hose leak at the reservoir.

~The rear tires might have to shrink to 265 or perhaps a bit of fender rolling.

~The aftmkt radio powers up but no sound.

~The shift **** fits on the shift lever kind of loose like it isn't on correctly or there is a missing bushing or something to that effect.

~The rear hatch bangs and rattles.

~The l/r turn signal did not work until I banged on it.

On the plus side the engine is very smooth and quiet with great power, responsiveness, etc. Seems to run just as it should. No warning lights. Strong oil pressure... 1.5 bar at idle fully, fully hot. In stop/go 85 degree weather the temp gauge barely nudged past the 1st line. The clutch is silky smooth as is the tranny. No ring/pinion noise.

Ductech and the prize in front of my bike shop. Commence sorting!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Love the story and car....if your headlights still do not go up, remove the cover for the relay panel, turn the lights on, and wiggle the headlight relay, it is on the passenger side of the panel, it's written on the cover which one it is.

This could cause the headlights to pop up....mine always pop up, but don't always go down, if I open the hood, then just tap on top of the fuse/relay panel, it works every time. Or if I just drive over a big bump, it lowers them!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kiesan
Got into the valve cover last night. The cam chain rubbing block (at least the upper one) has zero to little wear. Just the faintest hint of a groove. At 140k, this must have been replaced at some point, yes?

I'm going to replace them (pads/chain) anyway...

wear is meaningless. plastic never stops curing.

as it ages, it gets brittle.

your distributor caps are good for years / dozens of k miles...

so long as you change your rotors every couple of years / 20~30 k miles, etc.

when the cheaper rotor fails (and sooner or later, it will), you end up stranded and replacing the more expensive cap as well....

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: wife, arms crossed, toe tapping... "we accept" she said