Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift points for rear-Attempting torsion bar replacment!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 10:40 PM
951mat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lift points for rear-Attempting torsion bar replacment!

Like the subject says, where's the best place? I'v seen posts on jacking the car up, but not regaurding torsion bar replacment. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:42 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How soon are you planning on doing this?

I'm incredibly busy with work right now, but depending upon when you are doing this, I might be willing to help you if you like.

I'm going to have to do with with my race car at some point and it certainly wouldn't hurt me to get some practice.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:45 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I backed up on ramps when I changed mine.

Oops I typed to soon, I was thinking sway bars

Sorry
Old 02-02-2002, 12:19 AM
951mat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of starting tomorrow (at least dismantling) and finishing by Sunday. Anyone have any suggestions for rear jackpoints. What about the 2 "square posts" in front of the rear wheel wells. They're similar to the lift points behind the front wheels. I've heard the front points are someonewhat weak and not the best. is the same true for the rears?
Old 02-02-2002, 12:20 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you'll be working heavily in the rear of the car, the best spot is the reinforced area just in front of the rear wheels. It's not really setup to take a jack-stand there, so I use a 4"x4" piece of old rubber to protect the frame (tire rubber works great if you don't have access to small sheets... you can get a used/blown tire from any local shop for free I bet). Also, you'll want the car to level very secure and level... that means the front *should* be up also (not necessary, but nice).

I use the frame rails for the front jack-stands... you're right, those little nubs up front are not reinforced and bend quite easily.

If you haven't seen it yet, we have some Tech-Sessions on just about everything to do with Torsion Bars: <a href="http://www.tech-session.com/Paragon/Tech/944_tbar_main.htm" target="_blank">944 Torsion Bars</a>

Hey, whadda ya know... I'm off to put mine up on stands now... new header goes in tonight

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Lift points for rear-Attempting torsion bar replacment!