Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clock Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 02:05 AM
agent944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clock Light

The clock light in my center console went out. The clock itself still works (still keeps time) but does not light up at night with the other dials when the headlight switch is on. Is there a single bulb I can replace or is it inside the acual clock housing? I want to know before I start ripping my dash apart to get at it. Thanx
(83 NA 944). Hope this doesn't mean getting a whole new clock.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:24 AM
my944
Pro

Angry

You do NOT need to replace the whole clock. However, you do have to take it out to replace the single bulb in the back of it. E-mail me back if you need the procedure.

Best Regards,

Jeremy
Old 08-10-2001, 02:18 PM
agent944
Instructor

Unhappy

IF you could tell me the procedure that would be great. I tried taking the two srews out on the front center console, but the face still doesn't come off. The AC **** also appears to hold it in.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2001, 10:56 AM
Lew
Advanced

Smile

Go to www.tech-session.com - they have complete instructions on dash replacement, and they work.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:42 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the reference, but our procedures cover only the late model dash (85.5 - 95).

Certainly interested in getting the early model procedure added to our site though

Good Luck!
Old 08-13-2001, 07:58 PM
Lew
Advanced

Smile

Skip - your procedure wasn't exact concerning my 84, but it was close enough to be of great help.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:19 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

i just checked out my lights/electrical on my 83 yesterday to try and figure out the light thing (befer this post showed up). i managed to make sparks fly and now i have no interior light, clock is out, and stereo doesn't work. sucks... but in responding to your post, i had luck - the top part of the center console is separated from the rest, so all I have to do is pull it out carefully and i can remove the screws/nuts frome the back of the oil pressure guage, the AC, and the clock. putting it back is tough, but do-able. my light on the clock was really thrashed and just crumbled in my forefingers, as it was quite broken. For those who have their console in one peice, you will have to take remove (unscrew) the whole center console to get to the gauges. They are held to the back of the console by U-brackets. My ONLY ADVICE is to unplug the battery first, if just for the reason that if you bump the U-brackets while uncrewing the nut that hold the gauges in, you will pop a fuse, or worse short out the electrical system. It is possible to do this exercise without unplugging the battery first, but I was being sloppy and hopefully I will only have replace some fuses (?) PLUS a light for the clock (which doesn't work anymore anyway). If someone could throw me the part number for the light + which fuses I now need- I'd appreciate it. Good luck and don't fry anything...

mr agent guy, if you need further assistance, you can try smtp: mrfrog@100palm.com

skip, i guess i could add some data, but i gotta get parts first so i can fix what i broke (!)
Old 08-14-2001, 04:08 PM
agent944
Instructor

Talking

Thanks for the advice. I'll try and change that light before the weekend. By the way, is that a standard bulb that I can pick up at any auto parts store?? Or is it another Porsche special order?

Thanks Again
Old 08-14-2001, 08:09 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

the bulb is super tiny, i would be surprised if the auto parts people have one of these.. FWIW - i also haven't even bothered to find out, (like in grand auto, kragen etc.) the light is located inside a black plastic "plug" that fits behind the clock. it's possible to just yank it out: it's not secured by anything that you have to unscrew. add to this thread and let us know the details. thx..
Old 08-15-2001, 10:59 PM
agent944
Instructor

Yeah that light bulb is pretty small.

But I was finally able to replace it. I was able to find the replacement bulb at the local Pep Boys Auto Parts. It is the Sylvania bulb #74. The replacment bulb is slightly bigger than the original, but the end connection is the same. Cost me $1.49 for a pack of two. Anybody wanting to do the same for their pre-1985 ½ 944, here is what I did.

1.Disconnect the battery

2.Take out the cassette storage box between the seats (4 screws)

3.Take out the ash tray. This will reveal two large bolts, take those out (they hold down the center console).

4.Take out the two small screws on the console to the upper left and right of the clock and oil pressure gauges.

5.Take out the screws on both sides of the console. There are two on each side covered with small black caps to blend in with the carpeting.

6.Take out the stereo head unit. You don’t have to disconnect it. Just pull it out far enough to give you some room to pull out the console (about half way out).

7.Carefully pry up the plastic plate holding down the shift boot so that it is no longer attached to the console. The plastic clips holding it down break rather easily so be careful.

8.Pull straight back on the center console until you expose the back of the clock. 3 or 4 inches back should be enough. Take out the black bulb housing located near the top of the clock and replace the bulb.

Old 08-15-2001, 11:21 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should part number LB-7232 @ automotion bulb section do it?

I'm assembling an order from automotion...just because they have the oil valve that I want and it's cheaper to get everything from one place. They want $20 for the haynes manual...$4 more than most places.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:15 AM
agent944
Instructor

Exclamation

Judging from the picture on the automotion web site, no, LB 7232 does not appear to be the clock light. Its way too big and its a different kind. Again, judging from that picture, I'm pretty sure its LB7228. The clock light bulb has only one connection on one end only. Its NOT double ended like the dome light bulbs.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:30 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Agent944: please email me:

skip@tech-session.com

Quick Reply: Clock Light