Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Manifold Heat Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 11:07 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Exhaust Manifold Heat Wrap

Anybody using the exhaust wraps made by Cool It Thermo Tec or Design Engineering.

Do they really lower under hood temps?

The wrap makers talk about degrading the manifold over time. I wonder if they are refering to mild steel, since our's are stainless would it ok to use?

I would think coatings like Swain's White lighting are better, but if these wraps work you would not have to ship off your parts and cost is better.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:15 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
David,

Why not check out Jet Hot coatings? They just did an extra intake I had, they are going to do the extra updated exhaust manifolds, and the extra turbo down pipe. I am going to use Thermo Tecs turbo wrap on the hot side when I replace the turbo.

I am going to take some temps under the hood with an infared laser, before all of the work I'm doing in the next two months, record those and then take temps after I finish my upgrades. I will have in town and just off the highway temps I hope.

Jet Hot did my intake manifold for $110, sterling 1200, looks absolutely great. The exhaust and down pipe are going to be $150, the exhaust is coated both inside and outside. After the menu on the 800 number, hit ext# 112, Todd.

<a href="http://www.jet-hot.com" target="_blank">www.jet-hot.com</a>
Old 02-01-2002, 01:19 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I wrapped my headers, crossover, and downpipe with it. Looks good, have no idea what performance or heat gains will be since my ride don't run.

I'll let you know.

I know a few people who have done it to Mustangs and got more torque and less heat.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:02 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
David,

I agree with Bret. The ceramic coatings are more efficient at retaining the heat. Keeping the heat energy in the exhaust system increases engine life and performance (increase cylinder scavanging, more energy to spin a turbo, cooler intake air). But not as easy an upgrade and more expensive.

I installed the wrap on my hot rodded VW Bug, 9 years ago. It did reduce the heat load in the engine compartment. What I don't like, is the wrap retains moisture. I live in California, don,t drive it very often, never in the rain, but my exhaust is very corroded and needs to be replaced (probably moisture in the air).

We had a great discussion about this topic on the 951 board. Look it up, very good read. The ending concensus was to get a high quality stainless steel exhaust from SFR and then Jet Hot coat. The best of all worlds. Strongest material, light weight, quality made, will never corrode, maximum reduction in heat load. But the best method is usually the highest price.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:06 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just be aware of one thing..

The heat generated by combustion has to go somewhere. Even stainless steel can fail, generally from heat cycling since ss expands and contracts more than mild steel. It can become brittle over time and crack.

Not knocking the idea..I fabricated a stainless shield that fits between the exhaust manifold and the head. Keeps the temp above the shield considerably lower. (and, it "tings" and "tangs" while the engine is cooling, due to the differential in expansion)In the past, it was common to wrap exhaust manifolds when they were thick cast iron. Still, over time, they would fail.

Although engine efficiency increases (within limits of course) with increasing temps, those same temps do, over time, change the molecular structure of some mateials. Heat is a waste product. The idea is to eliminate it as quickly as possible when no longer needed in the production of power. That is the primary reason for the fans operating after the engine is turned off.

Keeping the heat in, especially in a turbo situation does increase the efficiency of the engine. I would think, given the location of the crossover pipe that the addition of insulation in that area would also reduce heat buildup in that critical portion of the engine compartment. (I would be concerned with the life of the turbo as well)I would expect more frequent replacement of the pipes, however, depending in part of how the vehicle is driven.

Cheers...

Bob S.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold Heat Wrap