Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 10:23 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Koni adjustables

Just got mine in the mail today. Geez I'm loopy. I'm going to bed right after this. Anyways, I don't have my suspension off yet (should be saturday), and I had a few questions regarding the replacement shocks I got.

First, I think I figured out the rears (8040-1035s) on how to adjust them, but how bad would 1/2 turn from stiffest setting be? I would like my car to be slightly more *** happy than the stock set up (too balanced, and it likes to push too easily)...I have stock sways, t-bars, and springs right now (not for too much longer...only a couple more months)...is this stiff setting in the rear going to make it *** happy? What should I set the fronts as? Will this feel really weird with the stock springs and t-bars...should I crank them down a little you think?

Now, the fronts I got, the koni yellow hacksaws (8641 1414s)...I can't figure out how to adjust them. It seems as simple as popping off the dust cover on the adjustment key and using the plastic adjustment ****, but it doesn't do anything. The piston rod which the adjustment key is attached to spins endlessly. Do these need to be installed in the old casings for the adjustment to work? What am I doing wrong here?
Old 01-31-2002, 10:25 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ribs, can you tell us a number between 1 and 12? ribs? RIBS?!?!

Thaddeus
Old 01-31-2002, 10:27 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

I feel like i'm on acid, and I don't think you are helping any thaddeus. Definitely time for bed.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:30 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey man, just some innocent kidding. That prof sounded like a tool. Sorry to mess with you.

Thaddeus
Old 01-31-2002, 10:34 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

No problem. I really do feel like I am on some sort of drug though. Lack of sleep really messes up your mind. Sorry I am so lame. Goodnight.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:49 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ribs! Wake Up!

1/2 turn on the rears is not much at all, but would be a definite change form full soft. Best place to start is in the middle (IMHO)... because, you'll end up there soon enough... why not start there. If you don't like it, change it. Now that you've played with it, you know how easy it is. If the car was already pushing, then you'll want the rear at a point where the front can be adjusted to match. Make sense?... didn't think so

Why must you refer to them as "hacksaws"? They're "specially engineered" Run them full soft to start. Not sure what you're doing with the adjusters... please be careful though, you can snap the center shaft internally if you force it. The little protective cap comes off the top, then you see the little tab... the tab turns independant of the strut shaft... though, if you aren't holding the shaft (careful ), then you could be spinning the whole thing, which would do nothing really (except make you wonder). Anywho, grab the shaft while spinning the tab with the little **** (hey, this is getting out of 'hand'.. doh!). You get about 2.3333333 turns total... Do Not Force It and turn it S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2002, 07:31 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Thanks a ton skip. I already have my konis up at the place I am working on my car at, but I will try that next time I go up there. I swear I tried spinning the setting key while firmly holding the rod, both directions, on both shocks, and it wouldn't budge. Am I going to have to reach a hand under the wheel well when I get these installed to keep the rod from spinning? I can't wait to get my car all back together and running again...it will be like new (I should have all of the issues on my car fixed from all this work).
Old 02-01-2002, 07:40 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will not have to hold the strut shaft once it's in the car. Don't force the tab... it might be a bit stiff as new... but certainly will turn (you should be turning CCW to move it from the factory setting of 'full-soft'.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Koni adjustables