Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC problems + notchy shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post AC problems + notchy shifting

For those of you that don't know...my car is a '89 944 turbo with 69,000 miles.

I tried the AC for the first time yesterday and again today...it blows luke warm air. It might be a tiny bit cooler with the AC on vs. off but it's not really noticable. I checked the little glass "window" into the AC by the drivers side headlight...I couldn't see any bubbles. The system was converted to R134A a good number of years ago. Could it be that the system is completely dry? Should I try recharging it? Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing?

Secondly...I've noticed notchy shifting...much more so at higher RPM's (4-5k). At higher RPM's I've often had to do either really force it into gear, or go back to neutral and then try again (it usually slides in fairly easily the second time, so no double clutching needed). Are my synchro's going? Should I try changing the tranny fluid? Any recommendations on that? I've heard great things about Redline synthetic and Swepco, what weight would be best (car has a LSD)?

Also...when I run the car with the hood open (w/o the AC on) I can hear a distinct air leak coming from near the intercooler hoses/intake. Could this be coming from the connection of the airbox to the long tube that runs to the fender?

thanks in advance for any help

Quick Reply: AC problems + notchy shifting