Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S - strange things happen

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 10:48 AM
Vladimir Gainanov
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944S - strange things happen

Hello everyone,

I am rather new to the rennlist and it lookls like plenty of useful information can be found here. The problem I have with my '87 944S is as follows:

whenever the tank is half full (or half empty;-), the car runs great. But, when I fill the tank completely, it looks like it pours too much fuel in the engine - like only 3 plugs work of 4. My mechanic tested the air return to the gas tank - it did not help. So, I have 2 suggestions:
- this can ve a small white valve (if I use the correct word) where all the return hoses go to the tank - may be old and malfunctioning, or
- this can be fuel pressure regulator which malfunctions and somehow, when the tank is full the injectors due to higher than should be pressure in the fuel rail allows more fuel in the engine and overdises it.

Please advise, if this all is wrong. Am I the only one who faced this problem?

Thanks in advance and regards from Moscow, Russia,

Vladimir Gainanov
IT and Communications manager
Roche Russia
Old 11-25-2001, 09:18 PM
IPC
Instructor

If the problem only happens when you fill the tank, you may be overfilling it, and causing the charcoal cannister to become full of gas. This would cause the engine to flood till all of the fuel and vapors are removed from the cannister. If you smell of the left front inner fender well and it has a strong fuel smell, that is most likely the problem. Also check the cannister purge valve. That controls the evacuation of the fuel from the cannister.If you do smell fuel, replace the cannister and the control valve. That should correct the problem. And one other thing, don't try to pack the tank with fuel.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:56 AM
Vladimir Gainanov
2nd Gear

Talking

Thanks! I remember working on this black canister couple years ago - the black cylinder under the left wing...will check it out!

Thanks again,

Vladimir
Old 11-27-2001, 03:38 PM
Lamah
Instructor

hrmm, perhaps thats why my car runs rich ...

Quick Reply: 944S - strange things happen