Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheese head cam sprocket bolt stripped :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 10:46 PM
Rog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cheese head cam sprocket bolt stripped :(

Hi Gang,

Well, despite the warnings on the 944 garage page, and many years of mech experience, I have managed to strip the head of the size-10 cheesehead bolt holding the cam sprocket onto the cam.

Anyone know of any particularly good method for removing these? I have pretty much every type of extractor anyone could want, but am all ears if anyone who's been there has any good tips.

thanks
regards
roger albert, austin tx
'86 944NA, a bunch of motor bikes
Old 11-24-2001, 02:33 AM
justin
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's real tight,I just took mine out I had to use a 2 foot 1/2 inch drive break over bar,and it even bent a little. Anyway,how bad is it stripped? Can you hammer a 11mm or bigger into it? Maybe a TORX tool,like a T-40 or T-50,may be this will help.....good luck..... If there's a way you can figure it out you can spot weld the 10mm tool to it.but you have to be real good to get it in around that big nut(sleeve).
Old 11-24-2001, 09:58 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

I removed mine by first buying an M10 12-point (XZF?) socket from Stahlwille. My bolt was a bit mangled looking so I had to tap the socket into the bolt head for it to seat right. I have an air compressor and an impact wrench, so I put the impact wrench on it (even though you're not supposed to use a non-impact socket with it) and it came out with one quick pull of the trigger. I replaced the bolt when I reasembled the cam box.

Bryan
Old 11-24-2001, 04:05 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
You can just drill the head: match the size of the bit to the now stripped inside of the bolt: once the head comes off you can remove the cam gear and bolt.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:49 PM
Andy Artz
AutoX

Not being a good mechanic I accidentally broke loose that bolt once. How you wonder? I was using the retaining nut behind the cheeshead bolt to turn the cams (took a pretty big wrench and bar to overcome the pressure from the cams and engine). Anyway, I'm cranking away to get it back to TDC (with an old timing belt on it that I was in the process of changing) and the stupid thing broke loose. So I ended up changing it out and locktite-ing it like porsche garage says. Had to turn the engine the rest of the way in the correct manner (which I should have done in the first place, too lazy tho). Maybe this will help somebody?
Old 11-26-2001, 11:34 AM
Exotic HorsePower
Advanced

I too strip the bolt that holds the cam gear onto the cam. I used a belt sander and carefully removed the head of the bolt. Once the material of the bolt head was gone the retaining nut fell off and I was able to remove the cam gear without any problems. Then I removed the rest off the bolt without by just unscrewing it with my fingers since all pressure was released as soon as the bolt head was removed. Good Luck
Old 11-27-2001, 03:34 PM
Rog
Advanced

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice and feedback.
Sure enough, drilling the head worked great. The thing was under a lot of tension for a bolt that size. Released with a nice cracking sound. Sure enough, I was able to remove the remainder with my fingers. Couldn't have been easier.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Regards
Roger

Quick Reply: Cheese head cam sprocket bolt stripped :(