Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures from Sebring PCA event plus bringing home a couple 944's

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Pictures from Sebring PCA event plus bringing home a couple 944's

Last weekend was quite a rush of different 944 adventures. Instead of just posting "hey look here's my pictures from Sebring" I decided to make a little story out of it, so bear with me if you can

It all started on Thursday with one of my great friends Jon Aponte personally delivering me his 88 944 from my hometown of Orlando FL to my new residence in Athens GA. This car and I have a nearly inexplicably cool "small-world" history (long story) and I have grown a sentimental attachment to the car since 2006. So when Jon announced that it was time to sell his car, it was practically a given that I would be the next buyer. It was a very exciting purchase for me!

The car has very bad paint, but otherwise is mechanically in great condition, and is stocked with a very nice handful of aftermarket parts which could easily add up to the price I paid for the whole car.

Here is Jon spending his last moments with his car, sad to see her go!

On Friday Jon and I drove back down to Orlando (with a fully loaded 944 engine short block in the back of our Toyota Yaris rental car) ... I wish I had taken a picture of that!

On Saturday morning I met up with a few 944 friends from around O-town to prepare our trip to Sebring. I decided we should meet up at the Northam Collection where I worked at one point, because it was a good central location for everyone to meet, and had a few neat cars to gaze at!

Nort's 924S race car:

88 Speedster!

Phil's 88 924S

Sean's 87 951

Mike's 83 944

Brian's 87 924S

Grant's 87 924S

John's 89 944

Josh's 87 924S

Wake's 87 944

Taz's 89 944S2

RJ's 84 944

George's 83 944

Anders's 89 951

Scott's 89 944

Anyway, you get the picture. We started our trip and met up with a couple more 944 guys along the way, including a very nice 928GTS.

Ralph's 84 944

Ty's 85 944

Mike in his 83

Arriving at Sebring International Raceway.

The group of misfits that made up most of our convoy.

Good view of the scales (in the foreground), some Porsche parking areas, and the famous Turn 17 in the distant background.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

What good is photos from a day at Sebring without a bunch of racecars, right?

Mark's 924S

KC's 944

A bunch of really cool dudes.

I took like, a million pictures up there, so I just picked a random few to post. If you were there racing on Saturday, let me know and I will post some photos of your car! (if I took any).

Oh yeah, can't forget all those "other" Porsches out there. You know, the ones us poor 944 guys can only have dreams about racing?

Anyway, back to 944's.

KC was not having a great day after breaking a spindle!

Nick's 944

Mike's 79 928

After Sebring I flew solo over to Jason (75ohm)'s place in Tampa to pick up a set of 15" Fuchs that he had helped me scoop up from Craigslist. Thanks Jason!

Jason's 88 944

To wrap up my trip, I rented a Tahoe and a trailer on Sunday to pick up the lonely Green Goblin (86 951) at my brother's house in Deltona FL. I siezed the motor over a year ago, and then moved out of state, and have been transporting all my 944's to my new home in GA. This just happened to be the last one!

Can you tell what hobby my brother is into?

Looking more dirty and beat up than I've ever imagined in my wildest dreams. Got a lot of work ahead of me!

Finally, I made it home. After a long, exhausting, but awesome weekend, and with 2 more 944's in the driveway, I finally uploaded most of my pictures from the trip. If you still haven't gotten your 944 picture fix for the day, feel free to browse through a few more photos in my album: http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

And if you were a part of the cruise on Saturday or had a 944 track car, let me know and I'll dig out as many pictures as I can find of your car!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by drift a 944; 02-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The #922 Boss car is Rennlister "f1rocks"
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Floyd
The #922 Boss car is Rennlister "f1rocks"
Yes! I knew I recognized that car from Rennlist. I think I snapped a couple of decent pictures of it on the front straight. I'll dig them all up and post for him this weekend.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 AM
pops 83 944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your just trying to make us jealous !!! Very nice and you can never get enough 944 pitchers !!!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome, thanks for sharing!!!

Love your tail lights (top clear and bottom red). Do you have a thread about them? I'd love to do that on my S2 Cabrio.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool story
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Wish you guys would have stopped by to visit this weekend. I enjoy meeting fellow Rennlisters! KC called me at 9:30 Thursday night needing a fuel rail.....I carry spares of everything!

Set a new SP1 track record on Sunday during the Enduro! Was jacked about that!!

You guys should road trip up to Roebling at the end of the month and we'll put you to work!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
16valver
Racer

I want to see more of the 787 car! I've always wondered what those wheels look like on a 944
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino V
Awesome, thanks for sharing!!!

Love your tail lights (top clear and bottom red). Do you have a thread about them? I'd love to do that on my S2 Cabrio.
Thanks! I don't have a thread about them unfortunately, but somebody out there might. I got the idea for it from pictures that were posted a few years back on RL somewhere..

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Wish you guys would have stopped by to visit this weekend. I enjoy meeting fellow Rennlisters! KC called me at 9:30 Thursday night needing a fuel rail.....I carry spares of everything!

Set a new SP1 track record on Sunday during the Enduro! Was jacked about that!!

You guys should road trip up to Roebling at the end of the month and we'll put you to work!
Nice job on the track record! I don't think I can make it down to Roebling, but I will probably see you at Road Atlanta in March. I live about an hour from Road Atlanta so if anyone is in dire need of a spare part that none of you guys happen to have at the time, I've probably got it and we can cruise to my house to get it.
It was great to recognize your car on the track! If you want to shoot me your email address, I can send you a couple full size shots of your car that I took. I think they are probably just all from the deck on the front straight.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Cool story and great pics Elliot. Were you guys just there for the day or the weekend. So were any of your guys racing...any video?

ps...what's with the mini me hood scoop on Phil's 924s?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Nice job on the track record! I don't think I can make it down to Roebling, but I will probably see you at Road Atlanta in March. I live about an hour from Road Atlanta so if anyone is in dire need of a spare part that none of you guys happen to have at the time, I've probably got it and we can cruise to my house to get it.
It was great to recognize your car on the track! If you want to shoot me your email address, I can send you a couple full size shots of your car that I took. I think they are probably just all from the deck on the front straight.
We will definitely be at Road Atlanta in March it's on the permanent race weekend list. Thanks for the offer on parts, I hope we don't need them but.....better to have a back up. My first year at RA I lost a lifter unloading the car off the trailer. Had a spare head but not a spare lifter! Drove down the road to the junkyard and pulled a lifter off a dead 944 there. Replace the head and by Friday afternoon was able to turn my first laps there and I wasn't last

If you come for the race, please stop by would enjoy meeting you all.

email is brent dot knoll at gmail dot com. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
944hal
Pro

Brent,
Congratulations on the new track record at Sebring. Didn't make it there but I'll be at Roebling and Road Atlanta. See you there.

Great pictures! Looks us up at RA and welcome to GA.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Cool story and great pics Elliot. Were you guys just there for the day or the weekend. So were any of your guys racing...any video?

ps...what's with the mini me hood scoop on Phil's 924s?
Thanks! We were just there for the day. None of us that cruised down in our group were racing, but I had a few other friends racing in the 944Cup class. We mostly just went down to hang out and have a good time.

And about that hood scoop.... LOL.... The 924CGT conversion was very well done by a shop in Orlando about 15 years ago, and then the car was sold several times throughout the years. Once Phil found it advertised last year somewhere up in Connecticut or Massachusetts or somewhere up there, he knew it was that same car, but one of the previous owners had installed the mini hood scoop along with several other tacky things that we were able to remove. If they hadn't cut a hole in the hood for the mini-scoop, it would be gone too!

Originally Posted by f1rocks
We will definitely be at Road Atlanta in March it's on the permanent race weekend list. Thanks for the offer on parts, I hope we don't need them but.....better to have a back up. My first year at RA I lost a lifter unloading the car off the trailer. Had a spare head but not a spare lifter! Drove down the road to the junkyard and pulled a lifter off a dead 944 there. Replace the head and by Friday afternoon was able to turn my first laps there and I wasn't last

If you come for the race, please stop by would enjoy meeting you all.

email is brent dot knoll at gmail dot com. Thanks!
Brent, I think I've seen your emails in rotation with the 44cup email list that I am on for some reason. I'll go through my pictures and send them your way tonight!
Looking forward to meeting you at Road Atlanta!

Originally Posted by 944hal
Brent,
Congratulations on the new track record at Sebring. Didn't make it there but I'll be at Roebling and Road Atlanta. See you there.

Great pictures! Looks us up at RA and welcome to GA.
Hi Hal, I look forward to meeting you at Road Atlanta also! Does your car look like the one in your avatar?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Whats with the big gap between the header panel and the cgt bumper on the dark blue 944?

Quick Reply: Pictures from Sebring PCA event plus bringing home a couple 944's