Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing a damaged Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:45 PM
Yan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Repairing a damaged Porsche?

Hi!

I know that my topic isn't directly related with the 944 but I'd really appreciate somebody to help me, and I'm also a 944 fanatic . I found a sweet damaged Porsche Boxster 1999 with 18 000 miles for sale and I'm interested in buying it. My question is: where can I find used parts for this Boxster at a great price? Is there any big Porsche scrap yard?

Here are the damaged parts that need to be changed: both front wings, the hood, the front bumper, both headlights, the radiator, the radiator support, the air conditioning rotor, "maybe" the left front door, the left mirror, the rear right braking light, both front suspensions assemblies, the rear left suspension assembly and both airbags.

The engine, the interior and the wheels aren't damaged at all, everything is ok. The guy is asking 17 500$ canadian (about 10 500$ US?). Can anybody help me? What do you think about the condition of the car?

Here is a picture of the car:

Thanks ALOT for your help!
Yan
Old 11-19-2001, 10:55 PM
John.
User

Personally, I would stay away from it as it looks like a total to me. If it has a salvage title, don't buy it. If you do buy it, you should look around for parts and a good frame and body shop. That car will require a good frame rack and a very good mechanic, one who knows how to weld. You can try Oklahoma Foreign......your best bet would be to find a Boxter that was hit hard in the rear and has been totaled. That way you can buy the entire car and you will have all the parts you need. Also, I would only fix that car if you intend on driving it for yourself. Remember, Boxters are a dime a dozen these days, and people will not want to purchase one that has had such extensive damage. Can you tell I am not a Boxter fan?
Old 11-19-2001, 11:22 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Not worth it if it has a salvage title. If it does not, and you are handy with the tools, check out http://www.partsheaven.com they have a warehouse full of smashed porsches like the boxster and they clean off any good parts and sell them for a reasonable price. If the damage is as bad as I think it is on that car, dont even bother with it, you know how much time on a chassis jig costs? PS, you might want to take a look at the Ians Euro parts website. Again, he features totaled Porsches with parts for sale.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:27 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

Yan,
I am gonna have to agree with John on this one. Although this seems like a steal it could really be a nightmare. My biggest concern would be damage to the frame. I have heard horror stories (on this board) about seemingly perfect rebuilds that still dont drive right because of some undetectable flaw. But I don't want to be too pessimistic here...at least the engine is in the back.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:31 PM
Yan
Instructor

Thanks for the answers!

Yep, the car has a salvage title.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:41 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
If that doesn't have a bent up frame I don't know what does.

I would steer clear of that. You will pump more money then you know into it, and have little to no resale value (due to the big red "SALVAGED" on the title).

-M

EDIT:
Buy the wheels!
Old 11-20-2001, 01:39 AM
Tabor
Drifting

I got my 968 engine from someone who purchased a similar car. Later he found that he couldn't find a shop that would/could repair it.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:30 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yan... one additional caution that applies to pretty much all our cars, as well as the Boxster... the unibody & sheet metal are galvanized for rust protection. Any ham-fisted body or "frame" repairs are bound to compromise that.

For me personally, galvanizing is one of the real attractions of these cars; you can pretty much figure that the tinworm won't gnaw thru a fender right after you rebuild the engine...

Thus a salvage-title Porsche is a _lot_ less desirable, at least to me.

Jim, not a Boxster fan anyway...
Old 11-25-2001, 01:55 AM
Mike 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yan,
Just curious as to who in Quebec is selling that car?
Conatct me off the board if you prefer.
Thanks
P.S I would forget about it
Old 11-25-2001, 12:24 PM
cbr2@softhome.net
Intermediate

Originally posted by Yan:
<STRONG>Hi!

I know that my topic isn't directly related with the 944 but I'd really appreciate somebody to help me, and I'm also a 944 fanatic . I found a sweet damaged Porsche Boxster 1999 with 18 000 miles for sale and I'm interested in buying it. My question is: where can I find used parts for this Boxster at a great price? Is there any big Porsche scrap yard?

Here are the damaged parts that need to be changed: both front wings, the hood, the front bumper, both headlights, the radiator, the radiator support, the air conditioning rotor, "maybe" the left front door, the left mirror, the rear right braking light, both front suspensions assemblies, the rear left suspension assembly and both airbags.

The engine, the interior and the wheels aren't damaged at all, everything is ok. The guy is asking 17 500$ canadian (about 10 500$ US?). Can anybody help me? What do you think about the condition of the car?

Here is a picture of the car:

Thanks ALOT for your help!
Yan</STRONG>
Turn the wheels straight.. Measure the dis. from the good front tire to the frame part to the frame part right under the fender.. Do the same to the passanger side.. If it is EXACTLY equal i wouold not worry about frame.. You need evaluate the damge yourself for the frame rails the extend past the wheels.. Seems you need $2500 in parts and $750 in paint and if you fix it that is all if you pay $3000 to fix.. If it was in Jax.Fl I could get it fixed for $1000 labor.

Quick Reply: Repairing a damaged Porsche?