Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 euro fog lights wiring diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 01:30 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 euro fog lights wiring diagrams

i remember on the old board a message about people who have misc. wiring diagrams for the euro fog lights (2 bulbs/lens) and the headlights. any information of the sort would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:56 AM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

I am also interested in converting to the two bulb combination light on my S2, so the wiring diagram is of interest to me, as well as some info on the lights. Can any parts from my existing 1 bulb combination light assemblys be used ?? Is a whole new light mounting bucket required ? If a new bucket is required what is the approximate cost ?
Old 06-26-2001, 12:52 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made some comments on this back on the old board towards the end of its existance so go back and read that. There isn't really a standard wiring diagram as it depends on when you want the lights to work. Since there is no wiring existing for the driving light you can do whatever you want.

The euro light lens is exactly the same as the North American version except it has a reflector installed for the driving light rather than the blocking plate. It simply screws into the existing mounting bucket. Don't ever wreck that bucket because retail new is almost $300 just for that darn plastic box.

There is nothing to be salvaged from the existing lens/reflector to make the switch cheaper than about 125 per lens if you look hard for a good price. But keep the old ones in case you break the new lenses. Then you could take the driving reflector out of the broken new lens and stick it into the old lens. Only problem with this is that the old lens glass is probably pretty etched from road sand blasting and you could tell the difference.

I was thinking about putting together a light and wiring package for this but it really isn't worth the trouble given the low demand.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:47 PM
rangelica
Advanced

I would be interested in your lighting package.

Rick

'86 951
Old 06-26-2001, 08:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, Rick, I will keep that in mind and see how many other people are interested.

I am toying with setting up a sideline auto lighting biz which obviously wouldn't be strictly 944's. I'm trying to figure out how to make it worth the trouble, though. Unless you can get an installation labor charge you have to do a ton of volume to make it on parts and kits alone. And I know less than zero on how to build a web site for selling parts.

Dan
Old 06-26-2001, 08:44 PM
si
Intermediate

surely all you US spec guys need to do is run a set of wires from the indicator (side marker) to the side/fog light combo....
as to an expensive bulb holder, you could easily make a bulb holder from another application fit in your light. Just find a suitable bulb holder from another application, cut to fit and glue in a suitable position...
si
Euro-spec 91 951s
Old 06-26-2001, 11:17 PM
C DeVito
Racer

You can take 2 salvaged fog lights (broken lens are usually cheaper) remove the bulb reflectors and install them in the driving light side of the good units in your car. I found the hardest parts to find are the light adjusters which are usually broken. The fog lamps use 2 while the driving lights will need 4. You'll need to fab and attach some plastic runners for the adjusters to slide on.

I also have a set of wiring instructions I used to install them. How you wire them depends on how you want them to work. I want the fogs to work independantly as daytime running lights, the driving lights to come on with the high beams and flash alternately with the fogs for a wave. I also wanted to be able to shut off the the fog and driving light functions.

The write up is here if anyone is interested.
Fog/Driving Light procedure for 951

Wiring diagrams are long loads due to detail and my lack of expertise at listing stuff:
Bridge Adapter wiring mods
and
Relay and light wiring
Old 06-27-2001, 01:00 AM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

Hmmm, I just checked my fog lights and the plastic adjuster on the right side is broken. It gets too hot for superglue down there so I'll bet that my only sorce of a replacement part is is my local auto recycler.... or the euro upgrade. Seems like a shame to spend $260-$300 before I planed. Anyone have thoughts on a temp fix ?? --Roy--

Quick Reply: 951 euro fog lights wiring diagrams