Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm not overheating, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001 | 04:46 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Arrow

WOAH!

Hot top hose is BAD?!

Mine has been hot to the touch, well, most all the time when I've noticed... I hope THAT could be relatively normal

Ok, thermostat coming soon, hoses, good idea, and whilst there, one hell of an engine flush! Water goes in the bottom of the radiator and out the top, right...

Whew, I'm getting nervous, and I still have to drive the thing!
Old 06-22-2001 | 12:58 PM
MadMax
Pro

Unhappy

Chris et al.,
NO, NO, wait a minute...I realize from re-reading my post that it sounds like I am saying the 'top hose' should NOT be hot. That is NOT what I mean. It should NOT be so hot that if you touched it "lightly" that you get burned.

I have seen radiator hoses get so hot that if you touched it you would get a first degree burn. The hoses are designed to withstand temps well above 250F. However, like I said, they are not intended to see this temp. 'frequently'. It weakens the hose.

The hose should be 'hot' it has scalding hot water (usually above boiling) in it. One of the best ways to see if the hose has been damaged (weakened), without removing it, is to squezze the hose while the engine is cold. The hose should feel firm. You'll be able to tell. If it feels really soft like a 'wet noodle' then I would replace it. They're cheap so I don't take chances. Nothing worse than being stranded because of a $20 part.

Didn't mean to alarm you. I'll have to be more specific in my posts from now on. Sorry.

Quick Reply: I'm not overheating, but...