Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 05:33 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post another cooling issue

this is a re-post... I would love some feedback...

the car (83 na) is doing great now, after getting some new hoses, a new radiator, and new waterpump. previously, it overheated - the needle did not going all the way to the top - and with verifyably has no engine damage. but the thing that that i can't figure out, is that for some reason the engine temp is still running high. The needle goes from the top of left most block (I think it's 40 C) to the first mark (first of three in the middle) and consistently stays there. this is an 83 BTW... Before the overheating incident, the needle would rarely go beyond and never over the first block and rest usually in the middle of the left most block. Anyhow, after repair and parts replacement, I just think that it is still running too hot - this concerns me. The engine even sounds like it's running too hot.

Re: the question by Phil Dumass, is this a thermostat thing or what? The thermofan switch seems to work properly, i.e., going on and off at regular intervals, what's going on here....? Also, what about getting a "cooler" thermofan switch (from a question asked in a previous post) and also hooking up the second fan so it goes on the same time the first one goes on (AC is not functional). any insight will be duly appreciated.

link from 944 faq re:cooling
Old 06-20-2001, 09:58 AM
doyle
Racer

I had an 83 with the same problem. Would run hot but it never overheated. I replaced the radiator, put in a lower temp thermostat and fan switch, no luck. I took it too the dealer and had the waterpump replaced figuring that they would install it and then bleed the system correctly. Even they couldn't get it right. I finally emptied the whole system, opened both bleeder screws and filled it from the bottom up. Don't let people fool you by telling you that if you have coolant coming out of the top bleeder that you have gotten all of the air out. After I refilled the system correctly, I used to barely run at 1/3 of the way up the guage where it used to run at 3/4 or above. It is a very messy job, but if you take the time and fill it right, you'll be very pleased with the results.
Old 06-20-2001, 01:11 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the info, totally appreciate it.. from the start, i guess i have to realize that these systems are quite complicated and require a certain amount of "technique" + skill. cheers..
Old 06-20-2001, 01:43 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do you fill from "bottom up"?
Old 06-21-2001, 11:35 AM
doyle
Racer

What I did was empty my cooling system. I then disconnected all of the hoses and ran a hose through the radiator until I was sure that all of the old coolant was out. I then ran a hose through the engine until, again, I was sure that all of the old coolant was gone. I made sure clear water was running freely from every place it could. I then filled the lower hose as much as I could and connected it to the water pump. Then I filled the radiator through the top hose as much as possible. I then began to fill the engine through the same top hose until coolant was pouring out of the lower bleeder screw (the one on the right side of the block). I tightened the bleeder and kept filling until coolant was coming out of the next opening up which was the top bleeder. I filled the top hose as much as possible and connected it. Make sure you have the heater turned on so the heater core fills. I then filled through the top bleeder as much as I could. The whole while I made sure that the reservior was topped off. When I was satisfied that it was filled. I ran the car for a while with the reservior opened to let the coolant expand and let the excess spill out. When the coolant levelled out, I drained it to the full mark and cleaned everything up. Made sure all of the fittings were secure and the coolant was cleaned up (it will kill pets). My car never once again reached the half-way mark. It ran so nice and cool and gave me confidence in the car. I never felt too sure of things when it ran hot. I was always paranoid and checking the guage every few seconds. When I said filling it from the "bottom up", I meant just filling until it poured out of an opening, I would close the opening and move up to the next opening. Good Luck. It is a very sloppy job, but worked great.

Quick Reply: another cooling issue