Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001 | 01:12 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Post 928

I write the following in all sincerity:

Here we are, with front engined waterpumpers, either four or eight cylinder. The long thread on the 911SC vs. 944 vs. 928 got me to thinking.

If the 928 was, as some say, the flagship of the fleet, why did Porsche drop all front engined vehicles? Personally, I like the balance and elan of both the 944 (also read 951) and the 928. I have owned 944s and had the pleasure of driving (albeit for a short time, alas) a 928. I would rather drive either one than a tail happy SC. So, that being said, I still wonder...Is it the famous Teutonic stubborness that ended the 944/928 lines? I marvel that the company has, in recent years moved to water cooled and (heavens.......) mid engine design. Remember in the past they torpedoed the 914 too. I just do not understand their logic. The only commonality I can find is from inception of a line to the end the price increases are phenominal and within a limited number of years the once entry level model is out of the reach of most and begins to rival the cost of their much vaunted rear engined wonders. Then, according to the main office, it becomes economically logical to stop production on the upstart. That, my dear friends, is what is considered a self fulfilling prophecy. What was the cost of the last year of the 968 vs. the 911 variant de jour?

So, here we are.....all orphans......There will never be another 944 or 928 coming off the assembly line. Let us enjoy them while we still can. Our casr represent the last of a breed. There will be no more.

Forgive the ramblings of an old wrench turner......

Bob S.
Old 06-19-2001 | 01:33 AM
Lars
Instructor

I think they put in the front engine car line to make money, and when the 911s were finally making them enough money to hold on, they took out the front engine cars.
Also, the 968, it was getting fast, and handling better than 911s, porsche was in a trauma and didn't want the 968 to outrun the old king 911, MAYBE, just a few guesses.
old dogs new tricks, stuff like that.
Old 06-19-2001 | 02:30 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Hi Lars, I suspect you are right. Ferry Porsche and kameraden don't give a rodent's anus whether we of modest incomes really liked the 944/968s.

Oh, well

BTW. I didn't live too far from you and "Cold Canada". Recently relocated to Tucson from Rochester NY.....138 inches of snow this mast winter..more than Toronto...(wrong side of the lake)

Bob S.
Old 06-19-2001 | 06:15 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Red face

I suppose the main reason why Porsche dropped front engine models from porduction was poor markets.In mid 90's economics in the western countries was quite bad.Olso Porsche has in the early '90's big financial problems.There where still quite a lot interst for those 911 models and many people thought that 968 was too close 944 models.Olso Boxter was on it's way and Porsche factory just couldn't afford to produce so wide range of different models.Now situation is totally different.Porsche does not have enough capacity to make that much cars in Germany that markets wants.They had to outsource some of the production to Finland where over 80% Boxters are made at the moment.
What comes to 914 we have to remeber 924 was the reason why they dropped 914...
I read from UK based Porsche magazine that Porche consider one new model to exsisting fleet.I hope they create a new "entry level" model insteadt of top of the line model.It would be interesting to see a new fron engine model with this all new V8 engine which will be installed on Cayenne.
-------------------------------------------
This message comes even colder country Finland.
Olli
Old 06-19-2001 | 09:01 AM
TomH
Pro

I, too, have heard it was more due to the poor market conditions. Not to worry, a new front engine 8 cylinder is on the way! Did I hear right in that the Cayenne will be available in a turbo?

The new front engine car that will share common components with the SUV may not share a turbo though. Remember, nothing can out-perform the lovely 911
Old 06-19-2001 | 10:43 AM
Troy Tempest
4th Gear

Thumbs up

It is a fact that the 944 sold in such volume in the eighties that it saved the Porsche company from either going out of existance or being taken over.

It's quite ironic that there are certain Porsche 'enthusiasts'who will not consider them to be a 'true' Porsche.

They don't know what they're missing.
Old 06-19-2001 | 10:51 AM
MadMax
Pro

Guys,
This is most definitely about money. Isn't it always with a business. It kind of...has to be. The poor economics of the early-mid 90's caused the 944 to move upscale. It was no longer a 'real' entry level Porsche. The 1991 944S2 Cabriolet "stickered" at ~$52K. That is NOT an "entry" level sports car.

If you are watching the market, Porsche is beginning to do the same thing with the Boxster. They got is to market at $39,950 in 1997 (even though most, if any, left the showroom for that). In the past few years the price has steadily crept up. Not much mind you but that is how it started with the 944 series as well. Now there is rumored talk about a Boxster RS (check the 986 BBS)that will have ~280hp. Does this scenario sound familiar? (951 then 951S & S2 then Cabriolet then bye bye, 'cause too much $$$).

It seems to me that Porsche is "mixing" the breeds from the outset with the 996. Same front facia panel and almost identical interior as the 986. If Porsche does produce a 986 RS, the only people buying a 996 convertible will be "status hounds".
I understand Porsche going water cooled on the 996, due to emissions requirements the air cooled engines couldn't continue to meet ever increasing standards and still perform well. But I almost cried when they totally changed the look of the 911 series.

The "look" (basic shape)of the 911, in my opinion, was Porsche's signature, not unlike the 'springing Jaguar', the 'blue/white propeller' on BMW, or the 'tristar' on Mercedes. Let's be honest, the Porsche family crest is the marque but when people think Porsche (the regular person on the street) they think 911. Don't flame me...it is just my opinion. People that don't know anything about Porsche recognize the 911. It only makes sense, it was the only car they made for almost 20 years (912 doesn't counts because it looked the same). Now what signature, those ugly damned headlights? From a distance, head-on, it's almost impossible to tell a 996 from a 986. I have no intention of ever buying a 996. I had the opportunity to drive one on a test track and it was an incredible car, made my '89 Carrera feel 'primative'. But I can't get away from the overall shape and beauty of the 993. It is definitely a modification of the 911 shape but it still looked like a 911. It was the best of the aircooled and they only made in for the U.S. for 4 years.

Please don't misunderstand, I am not inferring that the 944/968 series are not true Porsches. I love those cars as well and currently own a 92 S2 Cabriolet. It is a great car and undoubtedly the 944 series did save Porsches butt.

I am starting to ramble. It just disgusts me when I think about it. If you want to survive then you have to "dance with the one that brung 'ya" and Porsche is not doing that. Maybe the sports car lovers of this world are a dying breed so Porsche has to go after new owners and make the cars more appealing to a wider group. People that don't really buy a Porsche for what it is and what it can do but for how other people see the car. Sorry for the rant.

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: MadMax ]
Old 06-19-2001 | 12:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What's this about a Porsche family crest? I thought Max Hoffman drew the "crest" before importing the cars so they would have a logo. Shouldn't it be the Hoffman family crest?
Old 06-19-2001 | 12:13 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Hi Max et. al.

I suspect you are quite accurate. It is strange, though, that the company does that continual "upgrade" (read incremental price increases) to a point where the "entry level" buggy is finally out of reach to those who would like to enter the "family". And, if as suggested, the number of folks interested in 'sports cars' is shrinking, then the decision of Porsche to manufacture an SUV makes sense. However, given the current and growing animosity toward such oversized guzzlers makes the decision possibly a day late and a Deutschmark short. (or is it a Euro short?) I still think if the company came out with a car that would sell in the 32k to 35 k range and maintain that relative price, they could not build them fast enough!!!Did the 944/968 fail because of simple lack of interest or because of the increased price over the years? Why did they stick to a four cylinder engine with twin balance shafts when an inline 6 is inherently balanced? Lots of questions, no clear answers. Worse yet, the company gives no clue, preferring to be relatively non communicative. Hey Mercedes came up years ago with a line of heavy trucks. Imagine a Porsche tractor trailer!! Then again, the new owners of Chrysler are gutting one of America's "big three". Their vaunted management isn't an improvement of what existed before. So much for Teutonic expertise!!!

Once again, Oh well.....What might have been will never be and what might be yet to come may never arrive.

Forgive the rant

Bob S.
Old 06-19-2001 | 01:30 PM
MadMax
Pro

Tom R,
You might be right. I'm not sure. I asked my dealership Valley Motors why I can't get Porsche floor mats with the crest anymore...and they said because the Porsche family didn't want 'their' crest on the floor. They told me it was the family crest. Like I said, I am not sure. I remember readying it somewhere else but I can't be sure. Does anyone know for sure?

As for the rest, once again Bob S. you've hit the nail on the head. I enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
Old 06-19-2001 | 02:14 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I was told that Porsche produced the 928 to replace the 911 becuase Porsche management knew they couldn't get the air-cooled engine to pass emmisions forever. And they though they would get in legal trouble eventually for producing a car with the handling characteristics of the 911.

But the customers didn't want to see the 911 die, so Porsche kept it.
Old 06-19-2001 | 06:42 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Talking

I have read all of your comments and i suppose all of you are right one way or another.
Porsche family did not originally have any kind of crest.Actually Ferdinand Porsche was from quite poor Bohemian family.
It was Hoffman's idea to create a crest in the mid fifties and Ferry Porsche accepted this idea.Are 924-928-944-968 "real Porsches" we have to remember that olso first 356's shared a lot of parts with VW Beetle.Porsche family have allways been quite close to VW and other VAG-groups marks,Audi forinstance.Ferry Porsche's sister Louise Piech was importer of VW's in Austria.Most of VW dealers are even now under name Porsche there.Porsche family even get royalties from every manufactured VW Beetle quite long time.Ferdinand Piech,son of Louise (Porsche)Piech is still head of Audi.I suppose Porsche/Piech family are one of the major stockholders of VAG-group.
Buzi Porsche (911 designer), son of Ferry, runs nowadays well known design studio which is located in Zell Am See,Austria;quite near place called Gmund where it all started in late 40's...
Did you know Porsche made olso tractors??It was good they started with sports cars first.Compare to Lamborghini which was tractor manufacturer first and part of VAG-group (under Audi) now.
P.S all of 951's share parts olso with BMW,VW and Merceds.
Olli
Old 06-20-2001 | 01:28 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Well it will all make little difference in a few weeks as Porsche will be making its decision to BREATH LIFE BACK INTO THE 928!!! THE 928 MAY LIVE AGAIN!!!

Page 62 of this months Panorama made mention of the return of the 928 also.

p@
Old 06-20-2001 | 01:48 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Lets try this again,,, Breath Life Back into the 928!!! The 928 may life again!!!

p@
Old 06-20-2001 | 01:59 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's hope so, at least the SUV research etc. would go into something good.

I'd like to see a turbo 4 cylinder as well

They should've made the 968 turbo, and not drop either front engined car IMO, but oh well.
Ahmet

Quick Reply: 928