Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I need a bra -

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 11:02 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think I need a bra -

I have a 1983 that is quickly changing from excellent to good condition due to rock chips. I live in the New York City metropolitian area and drive the car on the highway every day. Since I purchased the car 4 months ago, an ever increasing number of rock chips have changed my original guards red paint to white on the headlights and front of the quarter panels. I purchased one of the OEM bras with the Porsche crest, but have been afraid to use it because of horror stories involving bras and paint damage. It seems, however,I no longer have a choice. So, what is the proper maintenance with using a bra so that the paint isn't damaged? Any suggestions on how to fix the existing chips, absent a new paint job or nail-polish touch-ups? Has anyone had success with the colored waxes?

Thanks -

Jeremy
1983 944
Still believing bra-less is always better -
Old 06-18-2001, 04:01 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, the colored waxes are crap. They're a gimmick, save your money. The "nail polish" touch up, as you put it is tried and true...if you prep correctly. FIrst, make sure you use a de-waxer..paint is only as good as the prep. Next, if you have developed any minor rust in those chips use a chip de-rusting tool. You'll find them at Pep Boys and the lke. They're a relatively cheap battery powered grinder with a littel pointed stone. Use it to clean out any rust. Don't apply the paint with the little brush in the bottle, use a tooth pick and "place" the paint teeny-tiny drop by drop until you build up the chip to the level of the surrounding paint. Later, after it's dried for DAYS...you can either color sand or lightly rub with compound and finish off with polish/wax. Alot of work? Of course. As for bras? They're ugly and old fashioned. I only use mine on long trips to aovid a large amount of damage. Keep your car well waxed and avoid obvious gravel patches and stop worrying. If you really drive them they get some wear.

Quick Reply: I think I need a bra -