Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket? :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013 | 10:52 PM
Wasseem Jundi
Track Day

Default Head Gasket? :(

So in trying to track my rough idle when first starting car i found something pretty bad... coolant in cylinder 3. No coolant in oil or vice versa... sounds like the head gasket to me. What do ya'll think?
Old 01-18-2013 | 11:16 PM
blown 944
Race Car

That or a crack in the block or head. Hope for a HG....
Old 01-19-2013 | 04:03 AM
Wasseem Jundi
Track Day

Should i just pull the head off and take a look? Never done it before but saw all the tech postings and guides on clarks-garage. Can't afford to take it to anyone plus it's my daily driver so I'm out a car. Got a friend who said he will help me with it.
Old 01-19-2013 | 09:01 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

That sucks man. I had to park my 944 for about 4 months this past summer because the head gasket was blown. I had never done something like that before, so I was very hesitant, but I did it and she's running now. If you have a decent mechanical ability, you can do it. I'm hoping for a blown head gasket for you buddy, but Sid is right, that could be a crack somewhere and to be honest with you I think that's more what it sounds like to me. Just look over clarks garage a bit, read some related posts here on Rennlist to get a feel for the job. and then if you have a Haynes Manual look over it too. Other than that man, just go for it and if you have any questions give us shout. Good luck man...fingers crossed for the head gasket.
Old 01-19-2013 | 10:33 AM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

I would pull the head, if it is the head gasket you will know as soon as you pull it. If you see nothing wrong with the HG then you will need to look elsewhere.
Old 01-19-2013 | 11:16 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Originally Posted by Wasseem Jundi
So in trying to track my rough idle when first starting car i found something pretty bad... coolant in cylinder 3. No coolant in oil or vice versa... sounds like the head gasket to me. What do ya'll think?
Your signature lists no location..
Where is the car?
Old 01-19-2013 | 05:39 PM
Wasseem Jundi
Track Day

I have the intake manifold and exhaust manifold off right now, taking a quick break at the moment. Somehow managed to get my dad to help me a bit but he basically did most of the work even though I asked him to show me lol. I think it's the head to be honest but I will find out in a few hours and post my findings.

Old 01-20-2013 | 11:53 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When my head gasket went, I pulled the head and in the process I broke off one of the small water neck bolts that goes through the head at the front of the block. I pushed the car aside for 6 years, got married, had a kid... They finally put it back together in 2011. After driving it for a few thousand more miles, it spun the #2 bearing, so I parked it for a few more months.

This last fall, I finally pulled the motor and stripped it down to diagnose and found the bad bearing. Left it with a machine shop for about 6 weeks and just got it back before Christmas. I'm in the process (slowly) of putting it back together again at the moment. It'll be a fes months before I'm back on the road though - I need to weld the frame rail where the sway bar mount broke through, plus replace the PS lines and rebuild the rack.

Anyway, I'm not too far away if you would like to see a motor out in-person. I'm about 20 minutes south of downtown Fort Worth.

Here's my 2011 rebuild thread with lots of pictures:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ly-thread.html

And my current thread that I've been updating since the motor seized:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...pped-help.html

Quick Reply: Head Gasket? :(