Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting back into a 944, questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Thinking about getting back into a 944, questions....

I have had 3 over the years, the last one I bought through a lead on here and got killed on it, ended up being a POS when I got it home, my bad.
I am currently driving a 91 318is I had a shop swap a 95 M3 motor into but after seeing come turbo's last weekend at a local meet, well I guess I just miss them dearly

I haven't even looked at them since I sold my last one back in 2004 or so, wanted to see what the market is like.
Whats a decent/good condition 944 turbo going for these days, one with solid mechanicals and some records but a decent interior/exterior, not a garage queen but would be a daily driver?

S2's or 968's dropped down much in price the last few years, should I open up to looking at one of those as well? Would be looking for something in the $7,500 range if I decide to go after it and sell the BMW.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not seen 968s drop in price at all, maybe early 944S models.
They are getting scarce unless you are lucky or can rebuild a "fixer".

Just price a 16v head if needed.

I usually see prices begin at $9K (needs work) to $12K in "good" shape.

944 Turbos are all over the price range. You can expect to buy from $5k for a "good" needing another few thousand in expected work/parts.

Good luck
J_AZ
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ebay recently completed auctions:

Name:  968 completed prices.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  119.0 KB
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep seeing people saying a "good" late model 944 is going to cost $10k in the end. The only questions is the entry point. $5k to buy and $5k to fix, or $3k to buy and $7k to fix. I believe as you move out to the end of the scale, the formula doesn't work. For example, it may cost $1k to buy and $15k to fix on the low end, and buying a $10k example will likely still need $2k to get everything you want done.

The 951 will add 20% assuming you don't go down the modification path. If you do that, all bets are off.

You need to be patient, do your homework, find one with records and get an accurate PPI. If you are not picky about the interior, you can probably find one that is "good" enough for less than the $10k price.

You can get lucky, or unlucky with your purchase, but I bet these numbers are decent averages for transactions that have records and a good PPI.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

You can get an excellent low miles 951 daily driver EASILY for $7.5k.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by Butters944
You can get an excellent low miles 951 daily driver EASILY for $7.5k.
I would bet a $7.5k 951 will need some combination of the following:

-Interior work (cracked dash or rough seats / carpeting)
-Fuel Lines
-Timing/Balance Belt/Water Pump/FOES
-Clutch never replaced
-Some exterior cosmetic issues
-Old rubber hoses that need to be replaced
-Suspension work
-Issues with rubber seals
-Rear hatch separation
-Non functioning AC

I don't think it would need all of these things, but I bet it would need enough work to push it up to $10k before it was "done".

I may be way wrong, but I don't think there are pristine examples of the 951 easily available for $7.5k. If you are willing to trade off some cosmetic issues, or some deferred maintenance issues, you could probably get a reliable driver for $7.5k. I would agree with that.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
BobSantos
Instructor

I just paid in the mid teens for a one owner Silver Rose with 68K on the clock. Beautiful, like new shape.

Test drove a 944S2 with 28K miles that's listed for 15 and change. Also like new but with title issues.

It depends what you want.

For instance, I had a car that I built up priced for a respray at an admittedly high-quality restoration garage in Bridgeport CT where the quote was $14K. The car was worth 1/3 of that. You have to figure if that where you want to spend your money.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 PM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I guess its all relative, the nicest one I had was an 86 951 with 70k miles I bought back in 2000 for like $7,500 and it was great. There are several nice examples for sale in my region in the $7-8k range, excellent exteriors with normal wear, clean carfax/title, good interior with normal wear, and solid mechanicals with service up to date. I found a really nice looking 88 turbo for $6,500 that needs belt and pump done on it but I can do that myself and it drove excellent with minimal leaks lol.

I'm not sure what direction I'll go, I do my own work so buying one that needs a couple thousand is not a huge deal if I know about it up front. My current BMW started as a project last summer, motor swap done by a shop but I did all the brakes and suspension swapping myself, interior rehab etc. The reason the last 951 was a bust was that when I asked for an honest assesment of what it needed I didn't get it, I knew it needed work but what it ended up needing far exceeding my comfort level in the garage so I sold it for a little loss to a guy that had more experience with the heavy mech than me.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Since for whatever reason, S2's seem to get less respect...you can get a very nice example for your price range.

The S2 has the same basic block as the 968 (3liter), the turbo looks and many of the turbo suspension bits.

It's a load of fun to drive while not being the raped ape that a Turbo can be.

They are also very reliable once brought up to spec.

I have over 200k on mine and still track it a few times a year....but I can also take my wife out for a nice drive in the country.

You should be able to pick up a later S2 that's been maintained for between $7k and $9k....I've seen ones in less nice shape go for as low as $4k here.

I don't care for the regular S....it is a higher reving motor and does not have all the turbo bits, etc.

968's are da bomb....and have held their price well....although I have seen several needing TLC go for your price range on here.

Good luck and welcome back to the 944 series !
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM
BobSantos
Instructor

Originally Posted by madsedan
BMW started as a project last summer, motor swap done by a shop but I did all the brakes and suspension swapping myself, interior rehab etc.
Lol. That was exactly the same story with my last car - a BMW with an engine swap done by a shop but all other work by me, including interior. I got so **** about it I was buying NOS interior panels from Mobile Tradition.

Now, however very happy to have stopped throwing good money after bad and to be driving a Porsche.

I guess what it comes down to is get the nicest one you find in your price range.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I know not to mess with a 944S, I remember the horror stories from my old Porsche mech in Kansas City when I was having stuff done on my 951. I am strictly looking at 944S2, 951, and 968 cars.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like the 968's and 951's have had a bit of an uptick over the last few years but there should be a good car out there somewhere in that range. You might also consider looking at 928S4's if you have never had one. If you look hard there are still some good cars left in that price range. Maybe a few thousand more to sort but that can be done over time and you will have a great car. As much as I love the 944 platform you have to keep in mind that the 928 had vastly superior build qaulity and design for its time. There was a reason it was the top of the line Porsche.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least you have the benefit of being able to tackle some of the maintenance needed within that price range.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

I don't care for the regular S....it is a higher reving motor and does not have all the turbo bits, etc.
trying to schedule looking at an 87 944S, blk/blk. have not driven a 944 for a while and never owned one. I would expect the S to be faster than a non-S. but understand the S2 has more HP and torque as I have driven a 968. I actually enjoy revving a car that likes revving.

unfortunately not currently running and it needs some mechanical work, but sounds like not too bad from the info. and seller says paint/body/interior are in good/very good shape. we'll see.

was searching ebay and autotrader for ideas of what it may be worth if I get it in good running shape. would plan to keep a while, enjoy, then sell.

thoughts?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

should have mentioned I do all my own mechanical work. been seriously wrenching on my 911 and 928 for years, and just finishing up work on two 914s for a guy. that is why I am looking for another project car, will soon have open space at my shop. and nature hates a vacuum.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting back into a 944, questions....